What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Process of JB.

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am in the process of Jail Breaking my 1st Gen Ipad with Redsn0w (for 4.3.1, untethered), and hope that I haven't encountered a problem. What I am now seeing isn't what the instructions state that I should be seeing. On my IPad's screen is the illustration of a hard drive, with a green arrow pointing down to its center. Underneath that was notification which read 'Downloading Jailbreak Data...'. That lasted for a good while, and then the Apple logo appeared, and the IPad turned on.

The attached Jpeg shows the processing screen which reached just four bars, and that has been at that position for nearly a half hour. What have I done wrong?

Attachments

• JB.jpg
    JB.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 215

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You must enter DFU mode properly.

Open Windows Clock and watch seconds hand.

Press both Power and Home buttons for 10 seconds, then without releasing home button release power button, keep holding (home button) for 30 seconds.

I'm using sn0wbreeze, it's much easier. But before that I used redsn0w, works well too, I just don't like the 'rc' part in it, you know the rc9, rc10, rc11. Kinda freaks me out.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am in the process of Jail Breaking my 1st Gen Ipad with Redsn0w (for 4.3.1, untethered), and hope that I haven't encountered a problem. What I am now seeing isn't what the instructions state that I should be seeing. On my IPad's screen is the illustration of a hard drive, with a green arrow pointing down to its center. Underneath that was notification which read 'Downloading Jailbreak Data...'. That lasted for a good while, and then the Apple logo appeared, and the IPad turned on.

The attached Jpeg shows the processing screen which reached just four bars, and that has been at that position for nearly a half hour. What have I done wrong?

Don't worry, it looks as though you are doing it right.

This problem means the compatibility setting you set for redsn0w did not work properly. Did you set them to "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"? If you did, the try re-setting them to "Windows 95". The instructions are laid out in the sticky.
Windows 95 seems to work if the XP SP3 fails for some reason.

Hope that helps.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for reference, it should complete that part of the jailbreak in a few seconds. If it takes more than a minute or two, you know it has crashed. Try again.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Don't worry, it looks as though you are doing it right.

This problem means the compatibility setting you set for redsn0w did not work properly. Did you set them to "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"? If you did, the try re-setting them to "Windows 95". The instructions are laid out in the sticky.
Windows 95 seems to work if the XP SP3 fails for some reason.

Hope that helps.

You know what? I now remember reading where the other compatibility option should be attempted, in the event of the suggested one not working out (my mistake :)).

For the record, there was no mode for the XP Service Pack 3, so I chose SP2. I will now go back and select 'Windows 95' and see how I fare.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know what? I now remember reading where the other compatibility option should be attempted, in the event of the suggested one not working out (my mistake :)).

For the record, there was no mode for the XP Service Pack 3, so I chose SP2. I will now go back and select 'Windows 95' and see how I fare.

Your the 3rd person to say that to me this week. I've updated the text of the tutorial so that Windows7 user will use XP SP3, and Vista users are told to try "Windows 95" first. I think this combination works first time most of the time...

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if it works!

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Your the 3rd person to say that to me this week. I've updated the text of the tutorial so that Windows7 user will use XP SP3, and Vista users are told to try "Windows 95" first. I think this combination works first time most of the time...

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if it works!

It (Windows95) worked like a charm. I am now sitting in front of my Jail-Broken Ipad :). I wish to offer you (and others who rallied to help me out) a very hearty thanks.

Now, it is about ingesting all the info that I can, to learn what this JB'ing will truly mean for me. I think that the 'Stickies' are laden with a bunch of helpful information, and that I may gain all that I need to know right from there.

I appreciate you much.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
NLAlston said:
It (Windows95) worked like a charm. I am now sitting in front of my Jail-Broken Ipad :). I wish to offer you (and others who rallied to help me out) a very hearty thanks.

Now, it is about ingesting all the info that I can, to learn what this JB'ing will truly mean for me. I think that the 'Stickies' are laden with a bunch of helpful information, and that I may gain all that I need to know right from there.

I appreciate you much.

Fantastic! Have a look at my new Ultimate Tweaks thread just posted...

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NLAlston said:

I appreciate you much.

Fantastic! Have a look at my new Ultimate Tweaks thread just posted...

Yes indeed. I was already browsing around, in that area, when your message came in :). There is a lot of neat stuff there, and I am about to get my fill.

The one thing is that I don't see how to go about finding some of what you have listed. I did get 'WinterBoard', but could not see how to locate the 'Black keyboard' tweak. I had sought for a window whereby I could type the name into it, and be automatically directed to its location for downloading. But others have found it, so I guess it's just a matter of exploration. But if I could ask you something. The two things that I am most interested in, right now, are as follows:
1). A program (Free/Paid) which would allow 'Hot-Spotting' with my EVO 4G.

2). A program which would afford 'Flash' on my IPad.

Again, many thanks to you.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The one thing is that I don't see how to go about finding some of what you have listed. I did get 'WinterBoard', but could not see how to locate the 'Black keyboard' tweak. I had sought for a window whereby I could type the name into it, and be automatically directed to its location for downloading. But others have found it, so I guess it's just a matter of exploration. But if I could ask you something. The two things that I am most interested in, right now, are as follows:

I just checked "Black Keyboard" is there. ModMyi repo. Just make sure you search for that (with a space).

1) Not sure what you want? Connect iPad to EVO 4G via WiFi to share the EVO 3G? You don't need anything on your iPad. You need a hotspot you your EVO. If it is the other way around, you need to look into MyWi in Cydia.
2) I can't help you with Flash. Not my thing, but there is no jailbreak magic which enables it. There was a hack, called Frash, but it's long dead I think.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I just checked "Black Keyboard" is there. ModMyi repo. Just make sure you search for that (with a space).

1) Not sure what you want? Connect iPad to EVO 4G via WiFi to share the EVO 3G? You don't need anything on your iPad. You need a hotspot you your EVO. If it is the other way around, you need to look into MyWi in Cydia.
2) I can't help you with Flash. Not my thing, but there is no jailbreak magic which enables it. There was a hack, called Frash, but it's long dead I think.

Yes...connecting the IPad to my EVO 4G (via WIFI) is exactly what I wish to do. I didn't want to have to shoulder (nor could I could easily afford) the expense of an additional data plan for my IPad. I was under the understanding (maybe erroneously so) that I needed a program/tweak that would allow such capability.

Regarding the 'Black keyboard', I did find it. I was looking for the 'Search' window in the wrong area. Again, many thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes...connecting the IPad to my EVO 4G (via WIFI) is exactly what I wish to do. I didn't want to have to shoulder (nor could I could easily afford) the expense of an additional data plan for my IPad. I was under the understanding (maybe erroneously so) that I needed a program/tweak that would allow such capability.

Regarding the 'Black keyboard', I did find it. I was looking for the 'Search' window in the wrong area. Again, many thanks.

Cool.

Your iPad will connect to your EVO as long as it is broadcasting a hot-spot. Cant help you with setting that up though... I have an iPhone4 :D

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Cool.

Your iPad will connect to your EVO as long as it is broadcasting a hot-spot. Cant help you with setting that up though... I have an iPhone4 :D

Ok, and thanks. I am sure that I will find out how to go about it. You had a bunch of nifty stuff listed, and I have downloaded/installed about two-thirds of the freebie stuff. My IPad is a whole 'nother animal now :).

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I promise not to bother you anymore, after this :).

One of the tweaks that I tried to get is the 'Action Menu' one, bit it could not comply with my downloadable request. Under 'Note' it stated such:
.....................................................................................................
'The requested modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed'.
.....................................................................................................
In the very last window, of this error screen, was the following information:

Depends IOS Firmware <4.3

(I take this to mean that, maybe, this tweak was for IOS 4.3 - and not for 4.3.1?)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
NLAlston said:
Depends IOS Firmware <4.3

(I take this to mean that, maybe, this tweak was for IOS 4.3 - and not for 4.3.1?)

Almost, it means it was for firmware less than 4.3, i.e. 4.2.1.

Most reactions

Latest posts