What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What I wonder is if we'll be able to be selective about which songs, playlists, etc. we can sync with each device.

I guess only time will tell.

Noticed the "purchased" tab in iTunes today and it does allow you to download desired songs from purchased albums...

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The "Purchased" tab is useful. I downloaded an app to my library with re-purchasing it (I downloaded that app on a Store iPad). Very useful.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KaiHD said:
The "Purchased" tab is useful. I downloaded an app to my library with re-purchasing it (I downloaded that app on a Store iPad). Very useful.

It should have been there all along! :)

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thing is, the store iPad doesn't allow removal of Apps, only installing. So, the app (ElectroBeats: Awesome beat-maker BTW) got downloaded directly to the device, bypassing iTunes.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KaiHD said:
Thing is, the store iPad doesn't allow removal of Apps, only installing. So, the app (ElectroBeats: Awesome beat-maker BTW) got downloaded directly to the device, bypassing iTunes.

You can delete apps from iPad. :)

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, what I meant was that the Apple Store blocked the function of removing apps... (I know this can be done via restrictions).

Oops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the whole subject of iCloud.. I think it's a nice feature but not for me and perhaps other people in similar predicament.

In South Africa, bandwidth sells at premium.. There has been some price drops but it's still very expensive in comparison to many other country's (you have to love companies that have monopolies). caps and speeds have come along way but no where close to other global offerings.

Now having everything sync with iCloud could make it very expensive and since the speeds are not up to scratch.. It would take forever plus cost you an arm and a leg... Maybe a kidney as well.

Just to give you an example...

3G here costs R2 a mb (Rands.. Equivalent of $0,30) ... Therefore. 1 gig over your cap (usually around 350mb for $73) would end up costing you $300 additional... Therefore $373 for a total of 1350mb of data.

There are more cheaper options e.g. another wireless option but speeds is less than 1mb a sec (40 / 80kb per sec if you lucky) with a 8 gig a month cap, this will cost you around $88 but for a much slower connection.

So yea... Just thought I would share my $1 :p

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Montereybob said:
I will not want my entire iTunes lib on my iPad. I just want to upload selected songs or playlists to icloud. Is it clear to anyone yet if this will be possible?

It won't. :(
All or nothing.

The way it works is tht Apple scans your library and tags songs that are in the iCloud database and uploads those that are not. When you want to listen to something it gets downloaded to your device. Once you listen you can either leave it there or delete it. If you delete it the next time you want to listen it gets downloaded again. BTW all of the tagged files are 256K AAC, no matter what your original sample/compression was so if you have 128K MP3's you get to listen to higher quality music when you D/L back to your device.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
b00bie said:
The way it works is tht Apple scans your library and tags songs that are in the iCloud database and uploads those that are not. When you want to listen to something it gets downloaded to your device. Once you listen you can either leave it there or delete it. If you delete it the next time you want to listen it gets downloaded again. BTW all of the tagged files are 256K AAC, no matter what your original sample/compression was so if you have 128K MP3's you get to listen to higher quality music when you D/L back to your device.

I don't think the question was how it works, but about backup and restore.
The question was can you select the songs you backup. And the answer is no. All or nothing.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since I actually haven't seen this yet, I will assume it will work on the basic premise that iTunes works on now. Since you can have multiple folders in your iTunes library again assuming you will be able to select which folders to add to your iCloud library you could therefore select what would be scanned.....film at 11.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
b00bie said:
Since I actually haven't seen this yet, I will assume it will work on the basic premise that iTunes works on now. Since you can have multiple folders in your iTunes library again assuming you will be able to select which folders to add to your iCloud library you could therefore select what would be scanned.....film at 11.

Icloud isn't active at the moment, maybe beta 2, so nobody knows.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did alittle more research, it appears that everything you purchase is tagged in the ICloud but they are a little vague on the ripped stuff about control of what gets scanned. It seems to me to be in your best interest the have it all up there in case of a disaster. Graywolf where did you see that you could not select which non-purchased music to scan to the cloud? So if you wanted to go with the 24.95 a year deal and you have more than the song limit you must either delete the additional music from the library or buy more space?

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
b00bie said:
I did alittle more research, it appears that everything you purchase is tagged in the ICloud but they are a little vague on the ripped stuff about control of what gets scanned. It seems to me to be in your best interest the have it all up there in case of a disaster. Graywolf where did you see that you could not select which non-purchased music to scan to the cloud? So if you wanted to go with the 24.95 a year deal and you have more than the song limit you must either delete the additional music from the library or buy more space?

Where did you see that you could? :)
My standing was that nowhere did I see that I could select what songs to upload. Apple says to upload your ripped songs but they don't say you can pick songs.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've seen a few articles with some vague mumblings about uploading songs to iCloud, but nothing definite. I think it's mostly speculation and guesses. As things stand now, nothing gets uploaded.

Songs are available only if they exist in the iTunes store; the song you've purchases, and if you purchased the Match service any songs in your library that can be matched with songs in the iTunes store. These songs are already in the iCloud. All you do is either get, or not get, access to them.

That becomes really obvious when you realize that any song you download from the iCloud service is the higher quality iTunes plus track, regardless of the quality of the track you have on your computer.

I don't think we are going to get a real answer to what can be done with actual uploads (for tracks that can not be matched) until iCloud is actually launched in full, or shortly before. But the rumors, yes, I think we'll have a few more of them.

Or I could be wrong. There's a lot of stuff being announced and leaked, and I may have missed a definitive answer somewhere. I can't read every article. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts