What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud - What a joke!

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Waited up for free download time to do iCloud backup for my iPad 3. Turned it on. Took forever to give estimated time. Finally gave estimated time for less than 1GB. 22 hours!

Give me a break!

Last edited:

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've seen similar times stated when I started a backup, but it very quickly drops down once the backup gets going, and it's never taken even remotely as long for things to finish. My total backup is in the region of 600 mb.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Depends if you use iCloud for the first time it's going to be a large file to back up. If you always have it on when it's connected to wifi, locked it will only need to make small back up changes and goes fast.

Colconn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try again at a later time. Mine did the same thing. So I stopped the backup, tried the next day, and it backed up everything in 10 minutes.

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still not able to do a backup. It does not even kick in when plugged in on wifi and locked.

What to do, what to do...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My devices need some time until they start backing up. There are times when my mini needs up to 20 minutes until the process starts.
Did you check your Wi-Fi connection, as suggested by col.bris?

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yup, wifi is fine.

I tried last night twice. Both were incomplete. I have fazed out my laptop and only use the iPad.

Maybe I'll start looking into other tablets that are not dependent on a computer or laptop.

With the iCloud and iTunes backups you are never certain about what exactly is backed up. It sure would be nice to be able to just copy what you want onto an external hard-drive and be done with it. The data that I want to keep from some apps is in Dropbox. I really want the PDFs in iBooks backed up. Have no idea whether iTunes does that or not.

Sigh...

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My devices need some time until they start backing up. There are times when my mini needs up to 20 minutes until the process starts. Did you check your Wi-Fi connection, as suggested by col.bris?

I agree with this. It's not a switch like process, it's on its own time during a full charge.

ICloud pretty much backs up everything automatically, unlike any other tablet. I'm sorry you have been unable to get yours to work. My wife had a little struggle the first time with her iPhone but once it did all is well every time now. It it's only PDFs your concerned with backing up you could try something like "Documents" and have it auto sync with Dropbox.

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with this. It's not a switch like process, it's on its own time during a full charge.

ICloud pretty much backs up everything automatically, unlike any other tablet. I'm sorry you have been unable to get yours to work. My wife had a little struggle the first time with her iPhone but once it did all is well every time now. It it's only PDFs your concerned with backing up you could try something like "Documents" and have it auto sync with Dropbox.

Thanks. Perhaps I'll give it another try later.

Most reactions

Latest posts