What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup doesn't occur; manual can't complete

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iCloud says my last backup was May 7th. That's when I had to erase and reset this iPad 2, after which it offered (if I recall) to do a backup and I elected Yes. Under iCloud options I definitely have it set for automatic backup. The other day I got a pop-up message upon unlocking the device that there hasn't been a recent backup and the message reminded me that backup occurs when the iPad is plugged in, on WiFi and locked. Those first two conditions are easy and the device is set to lock automatically after 2 minutes or when the cover is closed (?how does THAT work?). When the machine automatically idles out into locked state does it disconnect WiFi? No of course not! ...otherwise backups couldn't ever happen.

So anyway, today I checked and still no backup since May 7th so I tried to make one happen by asking manually under Settings>>iCloud>>Backup. When I did that it said, "backing up..." and it said, "Estimated time remaining...". But then after about 30 seconds a pop-up asked for my iCloud password. Yet the machine had just asked for my iCloud password when it awoke from locked state but I'm not sure why it needs to ask or how to control that behavior. In any case I gave the correct password at start-up and then when the manual backup demanded it. But after I entered it the iPad immediately gave the message, "the last backup could not be completed".

I tried again and each time the events were identical as described above, until one time I decided to tap Cancel when it asked for the password after manual call for backup. After that of course I got the error "the last backup could not be completed". And each and every time after that if I manually request a backup it would give me the failure message after only a few seconds. The iPad idled out and when I later unlocked it, it was still refusing to complete a requested backup and did not ask my password again.

Did I mention that I hate the iPad? It's my wife's.

You give me some suggestions but I am NOT hopeful. Thank you!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How good is your internet connection? A weak internet connection with low bandwidth is one reason why the iCloud backup can't complete.

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you may be on to something, thanks! If I run Ookla Speedtest on my PC hardwired to my router, I get about 45 Mbps download and about 5 Mbps upload. If I run the Ookla mobile version from the iPad it gives the same 5 Mbps upload but a paltry 1.1 Mbps download. A repeat of the test gave an even lower download speed. I don't know to what to attribute this! I mentioned in one of my posts in a different thread that the iPad's WiFi connection has at times been demonstrated to be 'tenuous' and may occasionally drop unexpectedly. I'm going to see if I can run Ookla from a cell phone for a mobile device comparison.

Yeah, you're on to something perhaps, thanks. Any further suggestions for me? I'll be doing some more experiments in time.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In your situation, iTunes backups may be the way to go, at least until you get a stronger WiFi connection.

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure, I'll try the iTunes method. That requires what? ..installation of something on my PC, right?

Speedtest on the cell phone gave 23 Mbps download, which is what I'd expect. Then I went back to the iPad and Speedtest gave 7 Mbps but I had not changed a single thing on it! (recall it had given only 1 Mbps before). Then I told the iPad to "Renew its Wifi lease", which it did, which I do not understand much or know the significance. Then Speedtest showed about 9 Mbps -- up from paltry 1. So I went back to Backup and tried to force a manual backup, but after a few seconds delay I got the usual failure message, could not complete -- arggh!

Don't get me wrong as I am HIGHLY APPRECIATIVE of the assistance I am getting here. But the wife is leaving for a couple days and taking the iPad with her so I have to quit pursuing a remedy for now. I'll post again to this thread, guaranteed. Thanks!

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iTunes backup requires the latest version of iTunes on your PC.

Have you tried resetting your router or even trying a new router.

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks. Sure, I'm prepared to try a different router, good idea. Okay I haven't the machine here now. I recall there was a complete list of what the iCloud backups capture. If I recall, that list was found under a "Learn more" link at Settings>iCloud>Backup. Of course I'm sure to find a "Learn more" link about iTunes Backup when I go to get the PC version. Is it a less thorough backup system I wonder. If it is equally as thorough then I am keen to pursue that as a stopgap or even permanent remedy (thank you).

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:) Hey all, I am so grateful for your assistance with this computer that sometimes baffles me!

:D I have success to report !!

When I got the iPad back I ran the Ookla Speedtest app again and it was lightning fast for a change. So I tried setting the deivce on the bookshelf where the nearby charger base resides and manually asked for a backup. No could do, and I got the usual failure message. I ran Speedtest again from that bookshelf (a mere 6 or 7 feet from where I got the lightning fast throughput) and was shocked to see the speed way way down. So I took the device into the same room as my router, ran Speedtest to check and it gave the fastest speeds yet; then I demanded that backup and it again failed/aborted BUT I TRIED JUST ONCE AGAIN and lo and behold -- IT DID IT!

Yes, sweet success.

I am of course dismayed that my iPad is so tenuous in its Wifi connections. Hey I have some interior concrete block walls in this (very old) house (because of additions made to it) and yet I have desktop PCs in my basement that connect readily and flawlessly to my Wifi router. Yet this iPad (iPad 2 I'm pretty sure) is wickedly undependable, even notorious for weak and flaky connections. Maybe it's the poor technology of some of Apple's earlier models; or maybe something needs to be repaired. If you have ideas about this flakiness then I am all ears. Maybe it deserves a thread of its own but only if there is beacon of hope to resolve.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad you finally managed to complete a backup.

I still have my old iPad 2 and have never noticed any problems with the WiFi connection. I can go across the street and halfway down the block and still get a signal from my WiFi router.

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I find that info helpful. Yeah, I am temporarily happy that I could force an iCloud backup. 'Not sure what if anything I can do to diagnose connectivity woes. The best app tool is likely "Chrome Connectivity Diagnostics" but that isn't available for iOS. There are some connectivity tools available at the Apple app store and I tried one or two but for the most part they were confusing maybe even nonapplicable. I'm not sure what to try. the 802 protocols are well established and transceivers are supposed to be capable of ironing out their own difficulties, negotiating and renegotiating their own handshakes et cetera. I don't see a step to take. Yet those Speedtest results are so so telling, varying from super-incredibly low throughput to super incredibly high throughput, and sometimes to zero throughput, with no known rhymes or reasons. I'm not even totally convinced that physical placement vis-a-vis the router is the constraining factor. This issue will simmer bitterly for a time yet, to be sure.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If your router is a dual band router, try turning off the 5.8 GHz band. Some older iPads had a lot of problems with that band. They would join it, but could not utilize it properly, mostly because it does not have the range of the older 2.8 GHz channels.

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you kindly. No I do not believe it is a dual band router, being a plain model given me outright by an ISP (Netgear model B90-755044-15). I can get into the router's control panel and have done so very often, yet I don't see any reference to 2.8GHz or 5.8 GHz. (Hey, maybe it's neither!?) I have Frameburst ENABLED and I haven't the foggiest what that's about. You mentioned "channels". My router is set for "Auto" channel select, which the CP explains, "('Auto' scans channels 1, 6 & 11 and picks the cleanest channel)". Also it's set to Wireless Mode= Mixed: accepts 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n connections. That's usual, I figure. Lease type is DHCP. Under diagnostics I see zero In Packets Dropped but 3 quarters of a million Out Packets Dropped. 'Not sure the significance.

So I don't immediately see anything that clicks with what you were saying, sorry. If any further suggestions I am all ears and thanks yet again!

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wait -- maybe this is it. Under advanced wireless settings I can select "144 Mbps only" or "Up to 300 Mbps" or "300 Mbps only". It had been set to that middle option. I have now changed it to that FIRST option. I'll be paying attention over the next few days to see if that fixes it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It sounds like it only has the 2.8 GHz channels, and a only a limited number of those. I'm not familiar with the Mbps settings. First I've heard of those options. Very strange.

I'll look up the Netgear model later, and see if I can figure out what's going on, mostly for my own curiosity at this point.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Read up on the Mbps thing. It's a matter of channel bandwidth. It is unlikely that the iPad 2 could handle the 300 Mbps bandwidth. I'm kind of doubtful that it can even handle 144 Mbps, probably more like the low 54 Mbps; but all routers should be backwards compatible.

Ideally this setting shouldn't make a difference, especially in the auto mode. At least for basic connectivity. But I suppose it's worth a try.

Last edited:

Most reactions