What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IBooks Highlite

davex44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After highlighting using the handles, sometimes it goes into crayon (marker) mode where I can draw highlights by swiping my finger across the screen. It's a great feature, but, can't figure out how to get into this mode or what actions are triggering it.

Thanks for any help,

David

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Long press on a word, and a popup menu will appear. One of the choices is "highlight". The others are Copy (to clipboard); Define (dictionary definition popup); Note (allows you to attach a note to a word); Search (for recurring instances of the word)

Hope this helps.

OP
davex44

davex44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin. Able to do that, but any idea how to get into the swipe mode where the highlight appears as you move your finger across the text. Sort of like drawing with a crayon or a marker pen.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried this and what works for me (on an iPad3 with iOS 5.1 - and the newest iBooks version) is to press on the word for about half a second and then just swipe your finger. You'll get no pop-up but you'll see the text highlighted as you move your finger (plus you'll get a color changing or note adding pop-up, which is different than the normal pop--ups).

You may have to practice on how long to hold your finger before you can move it to get the highlight (too short a time and you turn the page - too long a time and you get a pop-up). All I can say is "practice." But, it works well and after you get the hang of it, it's very intuitive.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

OP
davex44

davex44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
I just tried this and what works for me (on an iPad3 with iOS 5.1 - and the newest iBooks version) is to press on the word for about half a second and then just swipe your finger. You'll get no pop-up but you'll see the text highlighted as you move your finger (plus you'll get a color changing or note adding pop-up, which is different than the normal pop--ups).

You may have to practice on how long to hold your finger before you can move it to get the highlight (too short a time and you turn the page - too long a time and you get a pop-up). All I can say is "practice." But, it works well and after you get the hang of it, it's very intuitive.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Sometimes after doing this, when I touch another sentence, it starts highlighting this other sentence immediately. Rather than going into the handle mode, it starts drawing the highlight as if I were holding a crayon or a marking pen. much faster and easier than the handle mode, but it only initiates sometimes, and I can't figure out what steps to use to get into it. Any ideas? Thanks, David

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes after doing this, when I touch another sentence, it starts highlighting this other sentence immediately. Rather than going into the handle mode, it starts drawing the highlight as if I were holding a crayon or a marking pen. much faster and easier than the handle mode, but it only initiates sometimes, and I can't figure out what steps to use to get into it. Any ideas? Thanks, David

What version of iOS are you on? Or, what version of ibooks are you on? Because, I never get "handles." If I press for a brief moment on the words and then drag my finger on the screen, I always get the highlight that goes along with my finger as I drag it.

Here's a YouTube video of what I do to highlight (maybe it'll show better than me trying to describe it):

I really don't know any other way to describe it. Sorry.

Marilyn

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
davex44

davex44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iBook is 2.1. (876). iPad is 5.1 (9B176). Brand new unit

OP
davex44

davex44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
What version of iOS are you on? Or, what version of ibooks are you on? Because, I never get "handles." If I press for a brief moment on the words and then drag my finger on the screen, I always get the highlight that goes along with my finger as I drag it.

Here's a YouTube video of what I do to highlight (maybe it'll show better than me trying to describe it):

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXMn0O4W--E

I really don't know any other way to describe it. Sorry.

Marilyn

Mine behaves like this video

Sent from my iPad

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, if you press, hold and release, you will get the pop-up as the gentleman shows in the video above.

However, if you press, hold and then, while still pressing on the glass, drag your finger along the text, you will get the results as I showed in my video. And, after messing about with it more for this post, I found it does not matter how long you press your finger down. As long as you do not lift your finger off the glass, you will get the highlighter as you move your finger on the glass.

I think the key here is the release action:

1) Press/hold/release = get pop-up (with handles)
2) Press/hold/drag = get highlight that follows dragging finger

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cool. I just discovered that it remembers what highlighter you last used. I believe I may become fond of the red underliner.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not me! I like kids well enough, but large mobs of them are scarrrrrryyyyyy.

I just think it does the job without being quite as loud about it. If they had a blue underline I'd like that even better.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, you can imagine that being 5' 2", these teenagers are all taller than me by the age of 16 years old and I'm telling them what to do. Puts my job into perspective doesn't it?

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

OP
davex44

davex44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Yes, if you press, hold and release, you will get the pop-up as the gentleman shows in the video above.

However, if you press, hold and then, while still pressing on the glass, drag your finger along the text, you will get the results as I showed in my video. And, after messing about with it more for this post, I found it does not matter how long you press your finger down. As long as you do not lift your finger off the glass, you will get the highlighter as you move your finger on the glass.

I think the key here is the release action:

1) Press/hold/release = get pop-up (with handles)
2) Press/hold/drag = get highlight that follows dragging finger

Marilyn
Holy ^*Â¥]*#%^+%#{ finally. Just when you think you've tried every combination ... Confirms once again that the more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know.

Most reactions

Latest posts