iBooks a battery hog?

Discussion in 'iBooks' started by jawa6306, Nov 9, 2011.

1. jawa6306

jawa6306 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I couldn't find if this has been covered before but I've been noticing that my iBooks app seems to be a little piggy when it comes to battery usage. With. O other apps open I've been Using 15-20% an hour using just the iBooks app. Today I pulled my iPad off of charge and it was 100% and after just about an hour and a half of reading I was already down to 74%. Normally I average a normal 10% an hour web browsing and playing some light games but this is nuts. I typically average 1% every 6 minutes but while having iBooks open it drains at a rate of about 1% every 2.5-3.5 minutes. Is there any way to fix this or a different app to use? I've tried turning brightness down and everything I can think of.

This is on an iPad 2 32gb that I've had for less than 2 months. Also I do a deep cycle charge (drain it to below 5% then let it charge back up uninterrupted) every couple weeks or so. I have never had any problems except for this.
  2. TheRambler

TheRambler Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    What iOS are you running, I think iOS 5 is naturally heavy on battery, which is the reason for the soon to be available 5.01.

Other than that I can't think why it would drain your battery so much? Mine certainly doesn burn it that fast.....but i'm on 4.3.3
  3. jawa6306

jawa6306 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'm running iOS 5.0 but it still burned through the battery unnaturally fast on 4.3.3. For example I have been surfing the net/forums/YouTube for 1hr and 45min and my battery has gone from 100% to 86% which is actually pretty good since the average up time is usually 10%/hr. I just notice on iBooks it eats up a lot more battery than what would be expected (even more so compared to what I've been getting) I love the app, hate the power consumption.
  4. jawa6306

jawa6306 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Updated to 5.0.1 just now... Will see how it does. I love the fact that I don't have to plug it into a computer. That just makes my day. :)
  5. apleschu

apleschu iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am on 5.0.1 and disconnected my iPad 2 (WiFi) at 8AM now it's 7PM and I have been using it quite a while for reading, surfing, playing music, and I'd say the screen was n for about 20%-30% of the time during the day, if not more. Now as I write this the battery is at 48%.

If you have a 3G iPad the numbers may be different, 3G many times uses more energy than WiFi.