What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery goes down while charging?

Battery goes down when using it while charging (at max brightness)?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Wallace T

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you guys experience your battery draining even when plugged into a wall socket, because just now I was outside and charging my iPad when I noticed that my battery was going down. I was only using two apps: iBooks and Safari, and I even had bluetooth off. I did have maximum brightness though because I was outside but that was it. Is this normal? I mean my laptop at full brightness charges within the hour even when it's almost drained...

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad 3 can and will drain at full brightness even while on the charger. 10 watts simply isn't enough to overcome the power draw of you using the device and the screen brightness setting.

Laptops charger provide anywhere from 10 to 18+ times more power than an iPad 3 standard charger can provide. They were designed for that very condition.

Aaron stone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That may happen in this conditions

If your using a laptop to charge it
If your using chargers like the iPod nano's charger or classic or shuffle or any apple product with 30 pin slot use the iPads charger for it
Or maybe your charger inner part broke

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can try install a free apps such as battery hd+ for battery indicator to see your battery health also perhaps make sure you are using at least authorized apple products for the usb cable and charger or just the charger and i think some of us might suggest not doing anything with the ipad when its charging :ipad-movie:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
you can try install a free apps such as battery hd+ for battery indicator to see your battery health also perhaps make sure you are using at least authorized apple products for the usb cable and charger or just the charger and i think some of us might suggest not doing anything with the ipad when its charging :ipad-movie:

Battery HD+ can not show a batteries health. Ever. That app is, to be blunt, a complete waste of space on any iOS device. And the only reason Apple even lets those apps on the market place is because they give advice on things you can try. BTW, the same advice you can get from one simple Google search.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That may happen in this conditions

If your using a laptop to charge it
If your using chargers like the iPod nano's charger or classic or shuffle or any apple product with 30 pin slot use the iPads charger for it
Or maybe your charger inner part broke

OR having the brightness at full, while in use, simply pulls more power than the stock charger can overcome. This has been a complaint about the iPad 3 since day 1.

OP
W

Wallace T

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 3 can and will drain at full brightness even while on the charger. 10 watts simply isn't enough to overcome the power draw of you using the device and the screen brightness setting.

Laptops charger provide anywhere from 10 to 18+ times more power than an iPad 3 standard charger can provide. They were designed for that very condition.

I had a good feeling this was the case, but I didn't want to believe it. I pretty much use my ipad as a substitute for my laptop for now and the iPad just charges too slow for the amount of use i have for it, especially when outdoors.

Most reactions

Latest posts