1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iAds ?!#

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Sonny Burnett, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    iPhone OS 4.0 will have built in advertising. Just what we needed right? They are going to embed the ads right into the app. According to Jobs this will change the landscape of advertising and give the user a better experience. I say it will make it harder for the user to get away from it. If someone pays for an application do they want advertising built in to it. I can see it for free apps but for purchased ones?? Apple will make sure that we never get away from clicks!

If you want you can read my original article here: Apple Introduces iAds
  2. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I also cringed at the idea of ads on the iPad's OS.

But after thinking about it for a while, the ad system they propose can in a way become a search engine. I often find myself looking for electronic devices for hours. Why not if it can save me time?
  3. Sonny Burnett

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    It depends. If the apps are fee I can see advertising in them as I get that now on my Palm Pre. But if I pay for something and get ads embedded in it. That will be a big problem.
  4. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Agreed.
  5. Dorje

Dorje iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It sounded more like tools for developers to easly place ads into "free" apps without running counter to Apple's UI demands which is there obsession their day. That and for a cut of the revenue.

I guess it will also have options to tie into the Game Lounge or whatever it's called.

The question is if Apple will force apps to use iAds or deny those use other Ad methods. If it's just an easy set of APIs and a service for developers to add to Apps it will be no different then today. Any other ad service could offer iPhone OS spesific Ad coding to be placed in thier affliates Apps... Again unless Apple shuts all other services out....
  6. Sonny Burnett

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    It's just for a cut of the revenue!
  7. The Gadget Pastor

The Gadget Pastor iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will avoid iAd apps.
  8. brobar

brobar iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That's the key... if you read reviews about apps that are have iAds in them and they are paid apps... then don't buy 'em. If a developer gets enough complaints about a paid app because it has ads in it... then if he/she is smart they will address those concerns or pay the price in lost sales. That's what the review process in the app store is for! If you are able to be patient enough not to purchase an app the second it comes out... wait a few days or weeks and see what people say about it. If it costs money and has ads in it... then you might want to skip that app and move on to something else.
  9. CGPanama

CGPanama iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are already many apps that are available in the app store that are ad supported. This gives a tool to those developers who would like to use them within their apps to seamlessly add them.

In no way is this a requirement for all apps. But a developer choice. I have not heard anything prohibiting non-iAd advertising in apps, but would be surprised if that happened.

I must admit that as a consumer and a developer I was hesitant about iAds based on my preconceived notions. I feared an intrusive ad model similar to what Tivo has done that can intrude on the experience. But the demo that was shown was unobtrusive until selected by the user and otherwise took up minimal screen real estate.

The fact that these ads can become multimedia experiences that allow you to quickly and easily return to the app makes them attractive to me as a developer who would prefer not to have my users directed out of my app whenever they click on an ad.
  10. Takenover83

Takenover83 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  11. wot_fan

wot_fan iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Very well said CGPanama. People are always too quick to believe the FUD spread by the Apple haters. This is a good thing. If apple can make the adds interesting enough that people actually look at them, the devs who make free apps might make some money thus encouraging more free apps.
  12. CGPanama

CGPanama iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Takenover83, Good point, though I think Apple said they will have some minimal control over the ad content (probably for this purpose).

It would be great if developers could select categories of content they would like displayed in their apps. For example, an ad supported education app might have selected certain companies allowed (PBS, Discovery, National Geographic, etc).
  13. robb25j

robb25j iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i think the main reason for the ads is to take $ out of developer pockets who develope apps for jailbroken devices most jailbroken apps have ads in them an apple see's that
  14. wot_fan

wot_fan iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I would expect the apps category to influence adds displayed if nothing else.
  15. wot_fan

wot_fan iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    How does it do that? The devs who release for jail broken phones won't use iAds. They will continue to use what they are now.
  16. CGPanama

CGPanama iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Robb,

I have to disagree. This is about money, but I don't think there is a huge amount of concern about the jail-broken apps market. It is just irrelevant to this model. Ad supported models are becoming essential to many developers, whether in the app store or not. As a solo developer without limited time (not my day job) and resources, the idea of adding an API into an app and being able to release it free to get quicker adoption by the mass of iUsers and generate some revenue is a fantastic model.

At this point it does not fit into the app that I am working on, but it opens up possibilities for future development that were not there for me before. But knowing that if I choose I can take a 60% split of ad revenue on my app, just might make it appealing.
  17. brobar

brobar iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Absolutely! Apple knows that people buying advertising space are gonna want their ads targeted! I'm not gonna spend thousands of dollars to have my children's book that teaches ABC's and 123's advertised on the free version of Call of Duty Biochemical Warfare! What sense would that make? I'm sure advertisers will be able to target ads and knowing Apple there will be some oversight to insure that Sports Illustrated isn't advertising their swimsuit issue in the free King James edition of the Bible app! =)

If the ad banners were tiny and unobtrusive like they were shown in the demo yesterday... then I'll have no problem with developers throwing that in their free apps. I'll even click on a few ads (that interest me) to help some of those developers out. Even if they show up in paid ads (which I don't necessarily care for)... it won't ruin my experience! I'll politely leave a comment about how I don't care for that in the app review and just not click on the ad! For some reason people think these ads are gonna be popping out of their banners and taking over their entire phone or iPad... well that's not gonna be the case unless YOU click on the banner first.
  18. mjeagent

mjeagent iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looking forward to the iAdBlocker app :)