What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could tether to my phone, but I'm not interested in doing that. I don't want my iPad drawing on my phone battery. I'm not interested in my-fi tethering, either. I don't want another device to charge and otherwise deal with. For me, $30 a month unlimited data is a bargain. I also like having GPS.

There's basically no way I'll buy a wi-fi-only tablet, unless it's a gift for someone with those type of uses. If someone gave me one, I'd exchange or sell it.

Given the type of responses maybe the question needs to be:

With exception and/or disregarding tethering, are you content with "wifi only" or prefer a "3G type" capability?

Or

If you did not have a tethering source/capability, would "wifi only" be acceptable for you?

- Because in all reality, the underlying issue/question here is who uses their iPad in an "other than" pure wifi hotspot/router type connection.

-- It's a no brainer that those with a tethering source would 95% of the time not require/purchase onboard 3G etc.

Cheers

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you get a $30 unlimited data plan for the iPad2? The most I found through AT&T was $25/month for 2GB for the iPad2.

AT&T canceled the $30 unlimited, but grandfathered in customers who had it. I've had it since iPad 1. I switch my unlimited micro-SIM between my iPad 1 and 2.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jnewell said:
My wife and I regularly use the 3G radio in our iPads. It's not a huge percentage of use, but it is regular and it would really reduce the utility of the tablet not to have that capability.

Same here. Having 3G means I can use my iPad virtually anywhere without thinking about it. :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Samuelchua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the 3G version merely for my enterprise push mail. With just wifi, I have to fetch it only when wifi is avail. But seriously most of the time I am using it at home as my iPhone 4 is also set to my enterprise push mail.

The pros are:
1) push mail anywhere.
2) you can really use your iPad anywhere.

Cons:
1) more expensive
2) can't download bigger than 20mb app from AppStore on 3G (same limitation as the iPhones) unless you jailbreak - end up you will still prefer to be on wifi connection.

celly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use 3G a lot, but am glad I have it, especially during a recent road trip with my boss from Calgary to Edmonton. I use a Blackberry as well, so no seamless interaction between the two.

I have a "Flex Plan" with my carrier (Bell). $20 for under 500 MB and another $15 if I go over (up to 5 GB). No contract. Work reimbursed. :)

Last edited:

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:
I have a 3G model, but I've never needed to activate the 3G.

I have free wireless tethering to my rooted DroidX phone and only got the 3G in the iPad as a backup option in case the free wireless tether ever stops working.

I also figured the resale value of the 3G unit would be higher.

Same here, I have 3G, but haven't used it either. I was thinking the same thing about the resale value.
I have a Mifi, so I use that when I'm out.

shawnp582

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having Options

The wife was pissed at me when i sold my 16gb to get a 64 gb 3g. Was with the wife in a place that didnt have wifi and she had her nook which is wifi only. I switched over to 3G and kept it moving she seemed a bit pissed.

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had an iPad 1 wifi only regretted once I was in an area with no wifi. Bought an iPad 2 with 3G and not looked back. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have. Remember 3G is a month to month, no contract. So one month you may not need it, you can always cancel it with out no penalty, like those "other tablets"!

Sent from my iPad 2 White 64GB + 3G Verizon using iPF

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other reason the 3G versions are "worth it" in my view is the real GPS chip. Yeah, I could type in zip codes or street addresses for apps like weather, restaurant, etc. I'd rather let the GPS chipset do the work. ;)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jnewell said:
The other reason the 3G versions are "worth it" in my view is the real GPS chip. Yeah, I could type in zip codes or street addresses for apps like weather, restaurant, etc. I'd rather let the GPS chipset do the work. ;)

Is that really worth $100 extra, when you could just type in a zip? And iPad can use wifi to determine location also. Not worth that to me.

C

claireylouisa

I agree that it depends whet you use it for. I got mine for small on the move editing of my thesis and mainly reading scientific research papers. It's such a pain to print them and sort them somehow when you have so many, and printed pages take up some fair room! No 3G for me!

I do really like the iPlayer app though, which I didn't really know existed before but I'm ok with just using that where I have wifi.

If I had another place to check my Facebook (I ave an iPhone) I'd just spend even more of my life on there!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jnewell said:

Is that really worth $100 extra, when you could just type in a zip? And iPad can use wifi to determine location also. Not worth that to me.

Easily worth 130 bucks to me. I travel a lot, including abroad and on cross-country road trips. I often have no idea what the ZIP code is.

Of the many apps I use for travel, there's one that will tell you what's coming up at the next freeway exits (restaurants, services and such), as you drive, for instance. No ZIP code involved. It just locates me and tells me what's coming up, within seconds, before I whiz by. Another app finds me and tells me what cab services are nearest. There are many such apps.

I also use GPS in countries with bad signage and/or languages I can't read. I figure out where I need to end up, get on a bus, for instance, and see how close I am before I get off. No ZIP code involved. No having to hope the driver will understand where I need to go and nudge me to get off.

For those types of uses, I'd pay well over 130 bucks. YMMV

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Easily worth 130 bucks to me. I travel a lot, including abroad and on cross-country road trips. I often have no idea what the ZIP code is.

Of the many apps I use for travel, there's one that will tell you what's coming up at the next freeway exits (restaurants, services and such), as you drive, for instance. No ZIP code involved. It just locates me and tells me what's coming up, within seconds, before I whiz by. Another app finds me and tells me what cab services are nearest. There are many such apps.

I also use GPS in countries with bad signage and/or languages I can't read. I figure out where I need to end up, get on a bus, for instance, and see how close I am before I get off. No ZIP code involved. No having to hope the driver will understand where I need to go and nudge me to get off.

When traveling, I prefer not to break out my big iPad when in route. I prefer to use a one handed smartphone when I'm rolling baggage, getting on/off transit systems, and such. Also, I prefer a dedicated GPS in my vehicle. OTOH, if you don't carry a smartphone and/or don't have dedicated GPS in your vehicle, it might would be worth getting 3G just for that chip.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

When traveling, I prefer not to break out my big iPad when in route. I prefer to use a one handed smartphone when I'm rolling baggage, getting on/off transit systems, and such. Also, I prefer a dedicated GPS in my vehicle. OTOH, if you don't carry a smartphone and/or don't have dedicated GPS in your vehicle, it might would be worth getting 3G just for that chip.

Lol, I don't carry baggage and use my iPad. I have only two hands. I have an iPhone, but I find the screen too small for many uses, including map reading. I use the phone mostly to take photos or read books when I don't want to break out my iPad.

When I want turn-by-turn directions while driving, I still prefer my Garmin GPS.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts