What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PatriciaF said:
I have 3g and wifi and it's worth it to pay for it. I can't get home wifi working on my iPad so the 3g is great at home.

Hi Patricia!

How come your home connection won't work? Post back we can help! I'm in a helping frame of mind tonight.

If you have a wifi setup at home then you should be able to connect without too much fiddling around. Post back and let us know.

If you don't have wifi at home, then I guess I've missed something ( like my cerebellum) !

Sent from my iPad using iPF

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IvanLasston said:
No - Verizon iPhones cannot talk and surf at the same time. But they can if you have a Mifi -> the Mifi becomes the data connection over wifi, and thus you can continue to talk and surf on a Verizon iPhone if you have a Mifi.

Oh! Ok.

Reaction score
My wife went on a trip this past weekend and took hers. She said she didn't want or need me to get her any data because of her phone having navigation and free wifi at the hotel. I talked her into it.
The wifi was down the whole weekend. Her being able to search events, websites and get directions made it worth it even if she never needs it again. Just knowing if the need ever arises it is there helped me sleep at night while she was gone, then she told me what happened and I was extra glad.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First iPad was wifi only. Second iPad had 3G. When it came time to pick up a third iPad for the family,,, you guessed it, 3G for sure.

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
I posted a comment in this thread last month, but thought I'd revisit it with some new information.

Yesterday we had a power failure in my area. It was out for almost an hour. I have an uninterruptible power supply for my computer, but it died after 15 minutes taking my WiFi router down... Now I'm sitting in a dark house with nothing to do.....

I turned on my 3G ipad and found that I still had access to the internet because my 3G carrier was still working. I could still send and receive e-mails and browse the net. That kept me busy until the power came back on. :)

Straight on point. I can use my 3G for as long as there is power from my iPad battery. Sometimes I use this for over 12 hours when there is no power. This is the reason the iPad is 'King' of computing for me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi only here. I already have a 4G (where available) Hotspot modem (fits in my pocket) from Verizon that I use with my laptop that gets me near cable modem speed on the internet. And I have an Android phone that has both GPS and superior turn-by-turn voice navigation when I need it.

Thus, it made no sense to pay an additional $130 for a 3G iPad 2 plus $30 per month for a connection I didn't need.

All isn't roses, of course. I pay $50 per month for the mobile 4G modem service but it's a business necessity. I have to be able to access the internet when I'm traveling even if the hotel/client site doesn't have WiFi available. (And I travel enough to know that even good hotels frequently have WiFi problems and no one who knows how to fix them.)

But the bottom line is that I get better connectivity than the 3G iPad offers for a $20 per month premium and $130 less initial outlay.

sophist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I chose not to have the 3G version. Since I have an IPhone I use MyWiFi, an app that turns my IPhone into a wifi hotspot. I connect my IPad through the IPhone 3G if there is no free wifi in range. This option works great for me. I am paying for 3G access on 1 device instead of two as I would be if I used a 3G IPad.

earthman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 3G unlimited data version for iPad1 then transfered to iPad2. I use iPad with my commuting. They serve me well for business and entertaining.

techknott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No 3G for me, just use MyWi on my (wonderful jailbroken)iPhone and it's as good as!

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given the type of responses maybe the question needs to be:

With exception and/or disregarding tethering, are you content with "wifi only" or prefer a "3G type" capability?

Or

If you did not have a tethering source/capability, would "wifi only" be acceptable for you?

- Because in all reality, the underlying issue/question here is who uses their iPad in an "other than" pure wifi hotspot/router type connection.

-- It's a no brainer that those with a tethering source would 95% of the time not require/purchase onboard 3G etc.

Cheers

Oops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the unfortunate issue of the 3G model being in great shortage in my country, so I had to take the next best thing 32gig Wifi (there was no 64gig :( ) I did however pick up a MyWi modem which essentially gives me 3G (actually 4G network) and I can use it for my laptop and 5 other devices at the same time which is awesome.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KJSmitty said:
Given the type of responses maybe the question needs to be:
With exception and/or disregarding tethering, are you content with "wifi only" or prefer a "3G type" capability?

Or

If you did not have a tethering source/capability, would "wifi only" be acceptable for you?

I do not have tethering capabilities and the wifi only version is great by me - my iPad rarely leaves the house. If I needed cellular access I'd go for tethering as I'd only have one toy to become obsolete when 4G finally arrives.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 3G model, but I've never needed to activate the 3G.

I have free wireless tethering to my rooted DroidX phone and only got the 3G in the iPad as a backup option in case the free wireless tether ever stops working.

I also figured the resale value of the 3G unit would be higher.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I regularly use the 3G radio in our iPads. It's not a huge percentage of use, but it is regular and it would really reduce the utility of the tablet not to have that capability.

Most reactions

Latest posts