What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't add files/ebooks properly using ITunes

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folks,
I am trying to add ebooks/PDFs (I already have 2 readers called IBooks and PDF Reader Lite) in my IPAD 4 but it seems I really don't know how to do this properly.

* First, what I was going to ask is this: is there a way to access the folders from this IPAD using Windows Explorer and not ITunes?

If that were possible, I could see what's inside and add manually to that folder.

What I did was this: I opened ITunes, then I selected the "Add files to the library" option. Then I synced my IPAD. Later I noticed some books are not available, I can't find them. And after that, I moved the folder to another location and/or deleted the files from my C:\ Hard Drive. Will that make any difference or the files were already copied to IPAD anyway?

There's also an option called "Books - Audiobooks / Books / PDFs / Authors / List", and as you can see here:

BLn9Z1O.png

It looks like some books are duplicated. BTW, this one, "School of Darkness" can't be found in this IPAD. I tried adding again, but it's not there. IBooks can't find it by doing a search for file keywords.

What I want is simple: to add files manually and see if there are duplicates, and delete them. And to be sure if all ebooks are there.

Because I need to delete those files from C:\My HardDrive, once they are stored in IPAD.

The strange thing is the first time I used this IPAD in C:\My HardDrive it was possible to access by Windows Explorer.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried emailing the PDF files to yourself? If you then open the attachment, while accessing your email from the iPad, you should see an open in iBooks button. Tap it and the PDF will transfer to the PDF section of iBooks.

OP
GKar

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried emailing the PDF files to yourself? If you then open the attachment, while accessing your email from the iPad, you should see an open in iBooks button. Tap it and the PDF will transfer to the PDF section of iBooks.
Are you sure this is an option when you have hundreds of files from all sizes?

And I really need to access this IPAD using Windows Explorer to see if there are duplicates (and delete them) or maybe copy those files directly. Isn't that available for IPOD? Maybe there's a setting I can't find it that will allow me again access through Windows Explorer into the PDF location (the folder where all such files are stored)?

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What I do is upload my pdf files to Dropbox. I then open Dropbox load the file and on completion select 'Open with' using in my instance Kindle Reader. The file is then imported into the Kindle Reader's list of Books & Magazines etc.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Using iTunes, not only to you add the PDFs/books to the library, you have to tell iTunes what books you want to sync to your iPad whilst it is connected. When you click on your device in iTunes, you should get all the categories across the top, Music, Movies, etc. One of these is Books.

Firstly, you have to tell it to Sync Books. After that, you just need to select what Books you want to sync using the settings or by selecting the Books one by one. Click the Sync button, and they will move across to your IPad.

Now, when you open the iBooks app, you will find that PDFs have a separate area from the other e-books. Click on Collections to show the different categories, including PDFs.

OP
GKar

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know, this is very strange.

IBooks is not listed as an App here:

K70219k.png

While any other PDF app is.

And it looks like IBooks (or my IPAD) is ignoring some PDFs I add. I tried reducing the name of that PDF and it was uploaded. But I checked the character counter. Not added = 60. Added = 48. But another file with the same name was added, with 68.

Do you know if IPAD or IBooks can tell if the digital fingerprint/hash from each PDF is the same, thus ignoring a second copy from that file from being added?

I didn't find any duplicates in my Ibooks list. But I really believe some files were ignored while I tried to add them to this device. Well, the one I mentioned above certainly was.

OP
GKar

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I restored this IPAD to the factory settings. Now I am going to add those files (PDFs) using Dropbox. But I need to know if videos and audio files can be added the same way.

I am not going to use ITunes anymore for that. I rather download those files from the internet.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I restored this IPAD to the factory settings. Now I am going to add those files (PDFs) using Dropbox. But I need to know if videos and audio files can be added the same way.

I am not going to use ITunes anymore for that. I rather download those files from the internet.

The only problem with not using iTunes is that your music and videos will not be accessible to the Music and Video apps. Media cannot be added to those apps any other way but through/via iTunes.

Granted, you can use third party apps to manage/play your media. This is just FYI...

Marilyn

OP
GKar

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can we add MP3 files that were created by us using ITunes?

I mean, we can add videos located in our Hard Drives, but I wonder how MP3 files are added to this device, since I only saw an app called "Podcasts", which I believe downloads audio files already configured by them.

If I want to add a MP3 file recorded with my voice, can this be done using ITunes the same way we upload videos?

Maybe I am not doing this correctly, I think an app for playing audio files needs to be downloaded from the Appstore. Then we go here and add those files manually:

Vr0z9rI.gif

That must be it.

If only Ibooks was listed in the "Apps" list...

Last edited:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GKar said:
How can we add MP3 files that were created by us using ITunes?

I mean, we can add videos located in our Hard Drives, but I wonder how MP3 files are added to this device, since I only saw an app called "Podcasts", which I believe downloads audio files already configured by them.

If I want to add a MP3 file recorded with my voice, can this be done using ITunes the same way we upload videos?

Maybe I am not doing this correctly, I think an app for playing audio files needs to be downloaded from the Appstore. Then we go here and add those files manually:

That must be it.

If only Ibooks was listed in the "Apps" list...

Look at your screenshot. See the Music header just along from the Apps tab you have open? This is where you tell iTunes what music to sync to your device. See the one labelled Books? This is where you sync your e books and PDFs to iBooks. Follow the same logic for Movies, etc.

Do not use the App tab for these. The Apps tab is for syncing Apps and files to third party apps.

OP
GKar

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am adding new ebooks (all PDF) in IBooks that way:

Safari browser > Dropbox account > I click in each PDF and download them, and after that "Open in IBooks". The ebook is added to the list.

However, I must ask you if there's something wrong because Ibooks itself is less than 100 MB size, and all ebooks I added so far (at least in my Hard Drive) are wasting no more than 900 MB. But IPAD says (in the statistics from Ibooks use) I wasted over 1 GB.

When we download any PDF in Safari, another copy is saved elsewhere (if added to IBooks or not), perhaps a temp folder? Or maybe what is wasting 1 Megabyte in my HardDrive can waste 1.2 in IPAD, for example?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GKar said:
I am adding new ebooks (all PDF) in IBooks that way:

Safari browser > Dropbox account > I click in each PDF and download them, and after that "Open in IBooks". The ebook is added to the list.

However, I must ask you if there's something wrong because Ibooks itself is less than 100 MB size, and all ebooks I added so far (at least in my Hard Drive) are wasting no more than 900 MB. But IPAD says (in the statistics from Ibooks use) I wasted over 1 GB.

When we download any PDF in Safari, another copy is saved elsewhere (if added to IBooks or not), perhaps a temp folder? Or maybe what is wasting 1 Megabyte in my HardDrive can waste 1.2 in IPAD, for example?

The extra copy is probably being held in a folder within the Safari "sandbox". I'm surprised your not using the dedicated Dropbox app, it will save all the hassle of Safari navigation, an couple of clicks and you can open in iBook directly from the Dropbox app.

I don't want to comment on the file sizes, but your quoting of sizes seems to contradict itself. Maybe review that and re-post for clarity?

BTW, did you see my post above re transferring files to iBooks via iTunes and Music? Please review the process, because it will save a lot of hassle for you.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm surprised your not using the dedicated Dropbox app, it will save all the hassle of Safari navigation, an couple of clicks and you can open in iBook directly from the Dropbox app..
Agree..... This is exactly what I said at post 5 on the last page. So much simpler than faffing around with another App.

Madmax007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To manage ebooks I use Calibre. Give it a go I'm sure you'll not be disappointed.

Most reactions

Latest posts