What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a Truly Usable File Explorer for "Local" Folders/Files

UberFusion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - (sorry) Windows junkie here - but I do enjoy using my ipad...

However I do really miss being able to access files stored on my ipad from various different applications.

For example I have both VLC and HD Player apps running on my ipad, but each seems to have their own proprietary folder locations to store videos. Recently while travelling I tried using HD Player to watch a movie but it turned out that that movie (the audio actually) wouldn't play properly in HD Player - so I thought I'll try watching it in VLC - but I couldn't figure out any way to navigate to the "HD Player" video folder location and then play it in VLC... (I'm sure you know this is a easy thing to do using either Windows or Android!)...

So what I'm looking for is a "file explorer" that would allow me to navigate through the internal folder structure of my ipad and access various files such as movie, music, PDF etc files...

FYI - I am using FE File Explorer Pro, which does a great job of navigating to network locations and accessing files stored on network locations such a networked PC or NAS etc - but I can't get 'FE' to allow me to access my HD Player movies or other files. It does show some "Local" folders (eg. itune files, User Manual and Photo Library) but that's it...

They must be way - ie. a good file explorer app that cab navigate to the ipad's other "local" folders.

Appreciate and ideas and assistance...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS 11 has the new Files app that lets various apps store files in a central location. Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
However, any files stored locally in an app are not visible to other apps because of the sandboxing rules for iOS apps. You won't find an app that can search another apps files.
There is no central file repository in the way that Windows computers have one.

OP
U

UberFusion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Scifan57 - (unfortunately) your answer makes complete sense to me.
Your comment about sandboxing made the light go on...
Looks like I'll need to go with Plan B by using an external file storage device such as the FileHubPlus when I travel - it works great and does offer the upside of providing lots more storage but it means carrying along an extra device...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Scifan57 - (unfortunately) your answer makes complete sense to me.
Your comment about sandboxing made the light go on...
Looks like I'll need to go with Plan B by using an external file storage device such as the FileHubPlus when I travel - it works great and does offer the upside of providing lots more storage but it means carrying along an extra device...
There are companies that make external storage for the iPhone combined with an iPhone case, such as the Mophie Space Pack. The storage is accessed from the Space app developed by Mophie to work with the Space Pack. The problem is that it doesn't allow access to that storage by other apps.
There is also the Leef iBridge plug in storage device for iOS devices. Leef iBridge 3 Mobile Memory

Last edited:

Crito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bough a Lexar microSD to Lighting reader at Office Depot for $25. Comes with an app that can Share Sheet to built-in Files app. Seems to work for everything but my MP3 collection which Apple’s Music app doesn’t like. I can use Share Sheet to transfer MP3s from SD to iCloud and then play with what looks like QuickTime... but not with the (some but not all your) Music app.

Most reactions