How to tell the difference between chargers?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by MSaxatilus, Jun 4, 2010.

1. MSaxatilus

MSaxatilus
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    OK, I'm still confused. The only difference I see between the iPad cable and the iPod cable is one is rounded and one is squared off, and the rounded one has an extra dimple in the male end (don't know which cable is for which device), as seen here:

[​IMG]

So..... is everyone saying that if I am using either one of these cables to charge the iPad while connected to my iMac it does not matter which cable I use the iPad will only charge at 5W. To get the maximum charge rate of 10W I would need to attach the unit to the supplied AC wall adapter and one of these cables to get 10W?

But again, does the cable limit the wattage or is wattage determined by the device, charger or iMac?

Thanks for helping a newbie out.

MSax

2. GailLA

GailLA
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Depends on which charger/iDevice you have. The iPad wall charger is bigger than the current 3Gs charger; but except for the "10 w" looks exactly the same as the iPhone 2G charger. And of course I'm only talking about the US. I have no idea about other countries.

3. GailLA

GailLA
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The cables are interchangeable. I've interchanged them. I use what ever cable is handy, to sync or to charge. The wall plug end chargers are not interchangable. The squared cable came with the iPad.

#13 GailLA, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  4. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Let me say this again

"you can use whatever cable youmwant, it doesn't matter. What matters is the actual part that plugs into the wall socket."

The charge capability is not limited by the cable in this situation, it is limited by the actual AC adapter.

5. MSaxatilus

MSaxatilus
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Got it!

Thanks for your expertise guys.

MSax

6. Fotonutz

Fotonutz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Msax, once you've determine which is the iPad charger, label it or use a sticker, marker or whatsoever to identify it.

I have 3 similar chargers and I had to label it accordingly.

I can't see the super-fine print unless I use a magnifying glass.:)

7. tzimisce

tzimisce
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    This is what I did to differentiate between an iPad and an iPhone/iPod adapter:

[​IMG]

8. raven_blackhart

raven_blackhart
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I realize that this thread is kinda like almost a year old, but would just like to share anyway.

Between myself n my partner, we have 2 very early nanos ( the white ones with scrolly circle bit and metal back, like an iPod classic), one of those slightly newer nano ( still round scrolly, curved shaped) , 2 iPhone 4 , both hooked up to mophie cases ( one plus and one air) an iPad 2 and an iPad. So you can see we have a massive number of chargers.

One thing we realised: doesn't matter what your device is, feel free to plug into iPad charger. Everything just winds up charging faster on it coz of the stronger current. Nothing will blow up. And doesn't matter about the cable, they are all the same.

9. tzimisce

tzimisce
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I still have a Firewire charger, which only works on our oldest surviving iPod.