What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to read ebooks from Adobe Digital Editions

RRibeiro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm a noob in the Ipad world.
I have one Ipad 2 and I have some ebooks that are in Adobe Digital Editions format.
How can I read this ebooks in my Ipad2?

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, what type of books are these? Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) books are not in any particular format; ADE describes the method by which you read them. As in, you open the Adobe Digital Editions reader to access the books. They can be in many formats: e-pub, PDF, mobi, etc. The key here is if they have Digital Rights Management (DRM) attached to them.

If they don't have DRM, you can simply move the e-books over to your iPad with iTunes, or e-mail them to yourself, etc. Then, you can use "Open In" to pick an e-reader app to read them with.

If they are from a public library, they have DRM and you can download an app called Overdrive. You can access the library through this app, checkout/download a library book and start reading.

If you got them from a major book store, they probably also have DRM and most have their own apps (Kobo, Borders, etc.). You should be able to access the books via the apps themselves.

If all else fails, you can use the app Bluefire Reader, which will allow you to read DRM books.

If I've gone way off base in regards to your question, or if this doesn't make sense, let me know. Else, good luck and happy reading.

Marilyn

OP
R

RRibeiro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, I try'd Bluefire and it works great.

Thanks

ritergeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried Bluefire with an Adobe Editions book downloaded from the library. I registered with the same Adobe ID as the main machine, but Bluefire denied access. I transferred the book as an Evernotes attachment since I can't make heads or tails out of iTunes. Any suggestions?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I may suggest: For library books, I'd recommend the Overdrive app. It's free in the App Store.

It just makes life easier because then you can browse the library "shelves," check out a book, download same and have it open in the Overdrive e-reader - all from the iPad. No need to stick iTunes in the middle of it. Then, when you're done, you can return the book (or just wait until it expires ... you don't have to do anything).

I say all that because I really don't know the reason why you are having trouble with Bluefire. So, maybe try Overdrive?

Good luck and sorry my help was to divert you to something else versus providing a solution...

Marilyn

Stephy0908

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I downloaded bothe apps but am still confused. I swear I'm a smart girl! Haha. When I go to the Univ of Phoenix website and download the book it doesn't give me the sign in page nor does it prompt me to choose how I want to open the book. I'm so confused..

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so I downloaded bothe apps but am still confused. I swear I'm a smart girl! Haha. When I go to the Univ of Phoenix website and download the book it doesn't give me the sign in page nor does it prompt me to choose how I want to open the book. I'm so confused..

Stephy...since you have now carried on your conversation here, I am closing your other thread. We don't want to have the same or similar conversations going on.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

What happens if you press and hold the book - do you get an "Open In..." screen?

Each web site that uses ADE DRM'd books does it differently. You may have to download the actual book to your computer (using the Adobe Digital Edition software) and then transfer it over to the Bluefire reader?

it's hard to tell exactly how to download the book without seeing it first hand. Can you provide some screenshots of what you see (and are trying to do)? Thanks.

Marilyn

Stephy0908

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually got the book to open in Bluefire but it doesn't allow me to enter user name and password. I downloaded the book to my PC but every time I open the book I have to renter my user name and password. So frustrating! This school is costing me a fortune, you'd think simply reading the text books would be easier!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you'll have to get with the folk at Phoenix. I've never had to continually enter my name and password to read an Adobe DRM'd book before; once I've authorized the device to read the book - it stayed authorized, no further passwords needed.

So, maybe the Phoenix people will have more assistance for you. Sorry - but I've never seen this [and so have to bow out because I truly can't help[. Hopefully, the people at Phoenix can or maybe someone will see this post who also goes to Phoenix and can help.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts