What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eBooks on iPad

jj9for

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and am fairly new to Apple. I recently obtained a 3g iPad and am very interested in reading eBooks on it. My library in Raleigh provides Audio Books in MP3 format and WMA format also eBooks. They also provide the following software: Overdrive Media Console and Adobe Digital Solutions. My question is how do I get eBooks on my Ipad since I can't download Adobe on my iPad. I have a MacBook Air as well as a PC laptop and have been able to download the above software into both. I don't seem to have a problem with Audio books but I don't know how to transfer eBooks to my iPad? Thanks.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way to do this is to "unwrap" to ADEPT (Adobe Digital Experience Protection Technology) DRM (Digital Rights Management) from the library books.

Is it possible? Yes.

Is it legal? I'm not a lawyer, but what you would be doing is an "end run" so to speak around scheme that is meant to prevent such actions and you would be doing so at your own risk.

Personally, I think the libraries are doing a terrible disservice to all of the Apple mobile device users out there by using this Flash-based system.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
The Overdrive Media console as an ipad/iphone app to directly download to the ipad. look in the app store for "Overdrive Media Console"

There is no real documentation. So what you need to do is browse to your library's overdrive page, login, check out a book and allow it open up the download file on the ipad. That will start the overdrive media console and allow you to download the file directly to the ipad.

Now, here is the negative and work around. The negative is that this really does check the file out from the library and it will expire after 2 or 3 weeks. Then you have to check it out again. So if you take a while to get through an audiobook you might want to do the work around.

The work around is to use your desktop computer to download the file and then move it via itunes. If you do that, the file will not expire.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to clarify, the Overdrive Media Console app is for AUDIO BOOKS ONLY, not for Adobe Digital Editions books or PDF's.

OP
J

jj9for

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your input; however, being fairly new to this, I don't think that I understand what has to be done to get the eBooks on my iPad.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a bit of a complicated process and one needs to have a certain degree of computer skills in order to install all the necessary components.

Most reactions

Latest posts