What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to clean up a jailbroken iDevice for sale?

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I remember someone mentioned that the "Erase all content and settings" setting should not be used on a jailbroken device. Suppose someone wants to buy a jailbroken device from you -- what would in this case be the safe and secure way of cleaning the device up before selling it?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember someone mentioned that the "Erase all content and settings" setting should not be used on a jailbroken device. Suppose someone wants to buy a jailbroken device from you -- what would in this case be the safe and secure way of cleaning the device up before selling it?

It really depends on whether you are selling the device as a jail broken one or as a stock one [with the latest iOS].

If you are selling it as stock, I would (1) upgrade the iPad to iOS 7.0.2, the latest. Then, during the update process, (2) I would "restore as new" so that it's in a fresh out of the box status. That way, all your "stuff" is off it.

If you are selling it as a jail broken device, it'll be a bit more complicated as you'll have to manually remove all your data. However, if you use the tweak iLEX R.A.T., option 12, that is supposed to re-restore your iPad to an almost out of the box condition (except you'll still be jail broken and you'll still have Cydia). And, as a caution, I've heard its best to run iLEX via the terminal version versus the tweak. Seems to work better.

You may have to check your settings after running iLEX R.A.T., to make sure all your not jail break related info is gone, but that's just to make sure.

Hope this helps. Holler is you need more.

Marilyn

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, I was looking for something like the second option, just in case. Didn't know about the tweak before. Comes in handy in times when the current iOS version is not jb'able (such as now). ;)

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here's the link to more details/instructions if needed. But the ILEX R.A.T. is a pretty self-explanatory and easy to use utility.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Semirestore is an easier option, but it's far from perfect. ILEX R.A.T (not ILEX RESTORE) is the safest option.

Most reactions

Latest posts