What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to restore ipad 2

rocko08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have been seeing many threads and tutorials about restoring an ipad to a previous version and then re jailbreaking it, but i have not seen any threads about restoring a jailbroken ipad 2 to a stock os and the factory settings and just like brand new.
i have been wanting to restore my jailbroken ipad for a while alr now but i have been hesistant to do so as i am afraid it might be bricked or go have a plug into itunes screen or something. i am i noob and i jailbroke using the 4.3.3 comex jailbreak where u just go to jailbreakme.com and jailbreak; the first jailbreak released for ipad2. now, i want to restore it to factory settings so that i can install ios5 when it releases soon. how do i restore it and not want to jailbreak it again, without bricking or having the "plug into itunes" screen on the ipad
do i just go to itunes and click restore? i tried clicking thatthat and it made me update to 4.3.5, but was worried that it might brick my ipad when i update while still being a jailbroken device as it will update the device first before restoring it. so, what is the standard way of restoring an ipad 2 jailbreak to default settings that is able to install ios5 when it comes out? (i do not want to rejailbreak my device)

info:
ipad 2 jailbroken with comex's 4.3.3 jailbreak ( first jailbreak released for the ipad 2)

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will not brick, it's as simple as hitting restore. But if you didn't save your blobs, you can't go back so be sure before you do so!

When it asks you to update say yes, it will back up all your non- jailbreak items and then upgrade saving all your data but at the new firmware. It will take a little while.

Last edited:
OP
R

rocko08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But why must I have the blobs for? I thought it was to revert back to the old os right? But if I dun want to revert? I still have to save the blobs?

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rocko08 said:
But why must I have the blobs for? I thought it was to revert back to the old os right? But if I dun want to revert? I still have to save the blobs?

Blobs only to go back. If that's not a concern, simply restore. It's easy and you have no reasonable fears of bricking. I've restored devices many, many times from jailbreak. When a new jailbreak comes along you can go that route again.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the easiest way to put a jail broke iPad back to stock.

1) Download the firmware you are going to restore to (today, it's iOS 4.3.5). Let iTunes do the work for this, or you can go to our official firmware sticky here (just make sure you select the correct iOS for your version of iPad): http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Oh, but before you do anything - make a backup in iTunes before restoring. That way, you can get all your data back (Mail, Contacts, etc.). Be a bit of a pain to start way back at the beginning....

2) With the iPad connected and iTunes shut down, put the iPad into DFU mode per the instructions in this sticky: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

3) Once the iPad goes into DFU mode, iTunes will open and tell you it has detected an iPad that needs restoring. If you've let iTunes get the OS, simply accept the restore button. If you download the OS from our site, press/hold the shift key and click on the restore button. You'll be taken to a window where you can browse for the OS you downloaded (it'll end in .IPSW).

That's it. iTunes will restore the fresh new firmware and you then can elect to restore from new or from the backup you made beforehand.

This is the most problem-free method to use if you've been jailbroken. We've heard too many stories about people doing a restore on their JB iPads without putting it into DFU mode first. So, use the DFU method. Hassle free...

Marilyn

Most reactions