What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to hide jailbreak from Apple when USB port is faulty (iOS 4.3.3)?

YiCheng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just noticed my iPad's USB port is faulty. I can charge it (with some adjust to the cable) but my computer just doesn't recognize it, appearing as Unknown Device. I've checked with Apple's website and tried everything I can do, including uninstall and reinstall iTunes and other softwares related to it, and also checked the Hardware ID of it, which is shown as USB/UNKNOWN.

Now I wished to get my iPad stuck in apple logo screen, which may prevent Apple from finding out I've jailbroken it, but I found that I can't do anything. The Erase Content and Settings doesn't do what it is supposed to do (with iOS 4.3.3, jailbroken with redsn0w). Now is there any other ways for me to hide the jailbroken status from Apple?

Moderation Notice: This post has been edited by a member of staff in accordance with the Hacking Section Rules

is it okay to do so? While Apple find out this? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, that's not OK. That is a piracy enabling application and nothing to do with what you are trying to achieve. I have removed the reference as it contravenes our rules.

If, as you suggest, the iPad will charge but never connect to the PC due to a problem with the dock connector then you are probably best to trash the file system so that the device will never boot, then take it back. You can do this either by using iFile on the device and delete as much of the contents of the file system as you can. This should render the device inoperable when you reboot. Just delete as much from the root of the disk as possible so IOS is trashed.

Alternatively, you can install OpenSSH through Cydia then connect to the device over WiFi using user "root" and password "alpine" with a PC based SSH client such as WinSCP or Cyberduck. Then again delete as much as you can from the disk and reboot. As long as the iPad will no longer boot (it will hang at the apple logo) then you should be OK to return the device to Apple. They will never know it was jailbroken.

However, be warned! IF YOU DO THIS THERE WILL BE NO WAY BACK! Proceed with extreme caution and at your own risk. The only reason to suggest doing this is because you have explained your USB port is broken and there is no way to connect the device to a PC.

andrewhtf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just noticed my iPad's USB port is faulty. I can charge it (with some adjust to the cable) but my computer just doesn't recognize it, appearing as Unknown Device.

I am suspecting that the cable itself is faulty. I would try borrowing someone else's working cable (or buy a new one) before attempting anything else.

Most reactions

Latest posts