What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to add folders for emails

nfcourse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to add folders to organise email messages? The Move operation on ipad2 does not seem to allow many options!
Still, I just love this sleek piece of technology.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Depending on the type of email provider (must be IMAP or Exchange) you can add new folders on the server, and they will automatically sync to the iPad. You'll have to create the folders in the web client, or a computer program (make sure they aren't local).

Once I had to delete and re-add the account on my iPad to make it work, but never since. I was probably just not patient enough.

OP
N

nfcourse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. This does not seem to work with my webmail account, which is a .pop email address via SFR in France.
Not IMAP?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. This does not seem to work with my webmail account, which is a .pop email address via SFR in France.
Not IMAP?

Are you sure that SFR doesn't support IMAP? POP is a legacy email protocol and most service providers now have IMAP. A POP account cannot provide you with folders on the iPad, so it would be worth checking to be certain you cannot use IMAP.

Tim

OP
N

nfcourse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim, I've just come back to this thread after several months of using gmail .... Still not ideal.
I now have IOS 5 , and I have read that one can create folders on the iPad .

You are right that SFR supports IMAP, both that and POP are activated according to my settings on their webmail (actually a cegetel server, which is an acquisition by SFR).
However when I try to create an IMAP account on iPad , the settings show only POP account details, and allow only pop.cegetel.fr as the parameters. I've even created new email accounts on SFR to try to set up new IMAP accounts on iPad , but without success.

Do you have any ideas for me?

vgorena

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
If you use gmail, you can create folders in the account, using a pc... But, look, download this app: eMailGanizer Is for iPhone, but works in iPad too. Here you can create folders for Gmail, Yahoo, and other accounts, witouth use a pc. And you can go to iPad Mail, and see the folders inmediatly.

OP
N

nfcourse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you use gmail, you can create folders in the account, using a pc... But, look, download this app: eMailGanizer Is for iPhone, but works in iPad too. Here you can create folders for Gmail, Yahoo, and other accounts, witouth use a pc. And you can go to iPad Mail, and see the folders inmediatly.

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried eMailGanizer, but frankly I didn't find it very user-friendly.
However I've at last succeeded in getting the IPad Mail programme to accept IMAP settings, and it syncs beautifully to the SFR web mail folders. At last!
The trick is to remove the POP accounts on iPad and then re-create them as IMAP accounts.

OP
N

nfcourse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim, I've just come back to this thread after several months of using gmail .... Still not ideal.
I now have IOS 5 , and I have read that one can create folders on the iPad .

You are right that SFR supports IMAP, both that and POP are activated according to my settings on their webmail (actually a cegetel server, which is an acquisition by SFR).
However when I try to create an IMAP account on iPad , the settings show only POP account details, and allow only pop.cegetel.fr as the parameters. I've even created new email accounts on SFR to try to set up new IMAP accounts on iPad , but without success.

Do you have any ideas for me?

Tim,

I've at last succeeded in getting the IPad Mail programme to accept IMAP settings, and it syncs beautifully to the SFR web mail folders. At last!
The trick is to remove the POP accounts on iPad and then re-create them as IMAP accounts.
Thanks for your interest.

OP
N

nfcourse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

I've at last succeeded in getting the IPad Mail program to accept IMAP settings, and it syncs beautifully with the SFR folders on the server. The trick is to remove the POP accounts on iPad and then re-create them as IMAP accounts.
Thanks for you interest.

Nfcourse.

mjtyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nfcourse said:
Tim,

I've at last succeeded in getting the IPad Mail program to accept IMAP settings, and it syncs beautifully with the SFR folders on the server. The trick is to remove the POP accounts on iPad and then re-create them as IMAP accounts.
Thanks for you interest.

Nfcourse.

How does one do this?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear..sorry I took so long to get back to you. Yes - many Members have found that it's not possible to edit an existing account and to change it from POP to IMAP. As you suggest, you have to delete the old account and then create an entirely new one; then you'll be presented with the option for an IMAP account.

Glad you sorted it out in the end....

Tim

Most reactions