What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do people get internet when out and about?

AKangaroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm newish to the Ipad world :) I have Wifi at home, so far so good. Now, when I go out and there is no Wifi available, is there a way to have a connection? Do I have to pay a phone company for example? I don't have an Iphone, actually I don't have internet on my phone to pair them with Bluetooth...
Thanks very much for reading!

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I take it your iPad is a wifi only model. If you had a wifi +3G model, you could get a sim from your mobile phone company and access the Internet directly from the iPad.

If it is a wifi only model, then the solution would be a Mifi or portable wifi 3G router which the phone companies sell.

You can also try to locate wifi hotspots around the place that offer free wifi. Usually are in places like public libraries, coffee shops, some fast food chains, and other public places.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AKangaroo said:
Hi, I'm newish to the Ipad world :) I have Wifi at home, so far so good. Now, when I go out and there is no Wifi available, is there a way to have a connection? Do I have to pay a phone company for example? I don't have an Iphone, actually I don't have internet on my phone to pair them with Bluetooth...
Thanks very much for reading!

You either need a wifi + 3/4G iPad with a data plan or be able to tether to a device capable of producing a wifi hotspot.
You can also use public wifi wherever it's available.
You do have to pay your cellular provider to get an iPad data plan.

OP
A

AKangaroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I'll go to a shop to ask for their plans then. All the best.

davidtxs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shoot here lots of the fast food places have free wifi Starbucks filed charges on some guy for just goin there and parking and stealing the signal lol dunno what ever happened with that

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
I use my iPhone as a tether point for my iPad. works great and after some talking and haggling with my provider, it costs me less this way than having 3G on the iPad and using my iPhone.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Somerled said:
I use my iPhone as a tether point for my iPad. works great and after some talking and haggling with my provider, it costs me less this way than having 3G on the iPad and using my iPhone.

I do the same thing, myself.

Most reactions

Latest posts