iPad2 without 4G - Is There An Adapter or Service I Can Buy To Get Internet Outside?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Pilk00, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Pilk00

Pilk00
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have wifi set up in my home, but don't have the type of iPad that can connect to the Internet in hotels, coffee shops, etc.

I thought I read somewhere (in Bistro maybe) that there was a device I could buy and then pay a small monthly fee to essentially UPGRADE.

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate the help!

2. PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Hi.
    iPad 2 can have 3G. But only if you buy it that way.
    I don't know of any adapter you can get that would enable iPad 2 to access 4G.
    If you do find one please let me know.
    Even iPad 3 in Australia does not access 4G, because 4G is different to the American version.
    At least that was the case, maybe it has changed by now!

3. leelai

leelai
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Wifi only iPads can connect to wifi in hotels, coffee shops etc although some may require a password that you will need to access these. There are security risks also involved with using any free public wifi.

When out of range of wifi you could purchase a mifi.....these are personal mobile wireless routers. There is a charge up front for the device and then you pay a monthly fee for Internet service. These devices can connect more than one device to the Internet also. Most carriers will sell these so best to speak to them.

4. Pilk00

Pilk00
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks leelai, that's exactly what I was looking for! The mifi I'm personally interested in is the "on the go" type that Wal-Mart carries because I don't need the mobile access very often.

5. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I don't know what Wal-Mart sell but I use one of these mifi's to convert 3G to wifi http://store.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/MiFi

It works perfectly for me as I only need casual use of it. It can also be used with my laptops, phones, etc.

The Archangel

6. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought mine from Walmart--and it's the Virgin Mobile pay as you go one! Works like a charm and and have had it for 2 years!!

7. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Another mifi user here. It's a pay as you go one for those odd occasions when you need the access.
    Small cheap and cheerful.
    Recommended.

8. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    iPad2 without 4G - Is There An Adapter or Service I Can Buy To Get Internet O...

iPad 2 has wifi so I donot understand the issue as Leelai said a mifi hot spot allows access to 3G networks if you donot have any wifi available in hotels Cafes etc.

Colin
    iPad forums Administrator

9. Pilk00

Pilk00
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The "issue" as you call it is I never before used my iPad outside my home. Once I got to my vacation destination yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to find you were exactly right - I connected through the hotel's wifi. Since I don't have a smart phone, this is important for navigating around the vacation spot.

And I see now more clearly the (for me) occasional usefulness of mifi, which I intend to pursue when I get back home.

Thanks to you and all those who helped me out!

10. TANK318

TANK318
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    DON'T BUY ANYTHING JUST YET.....pending on which cellphone you have you can download a app that turns your cellphone into a hotspot and use that data