What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I set up dropbox to edit files properly so it uploads to previous location?

WestPoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

We recently got an iPad at work for one of the guys who does stock, and he needs to be able to update text files and have it upload to dropbox for the people in the office. I, being the IT guy, have been given the task of setting it up as the people who decided it would be a good idea have no clue what they're doing.

So far it is turning out to be more trouble than the previous system of pen and paper.

What I am trying to do is, on the iPad 2, access a text file on dropbox .. change a few things, write some stuff ... then click save and so forth. I then wish for that file to be updated on dropbox in the same folder that it was originally in.

This is harder than I thought. I've tried a few apps but they either upload it to the root directory (not shared) or don't upload anything at all.

I've had an iPhone but not an iPad before so I'm not an expert at these things.

Has anyone had to do something like this before, and know how it can be accomplished?

Thanks!

Adam

WillS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a method I use:
Place a file in Dropbox - we'll call it 'regionalsales'. Created the file on a PC and have not opened on iPad - yet)
On iPad select the file from the Dropbox app and then select the Open In icon in the upper right corner.
Choose the app you want to use for editing. To make things easier, app should be able to link to Dropbox (I use QuickOffice - Dropbox appears as a drive/folder directly beneath my local drive/folder)
The file will then open in your editor.
Edit the file and then save the changes to Dropbox drive/folder which you have linked to the editing app (using QuickOffice the file can be saved in any Dropbox folder).
If you are using an editor app that links to Dropbox, you will only have to open from the Dropbox app the first time you edit the file. From then on, the file can be accessed directly from the editor.
I'm sure there are other ways to use Dropbox/GoogleDrive/iCloud to accomplish your goal, but this is the easiest I know of. The only caveat is that you need an app that will (1) edit the type of file you are creating and (2) link to Dropbox.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You might want to look at Box.com instead. It's geared more towards corporate users and includes things like version tracking and comments on the files.

Many of the same apps that support DropBox also support Box.com.

OP
W

WestPoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a method I use:
Place a file in Dropbox - we'll call it 'regionalsales'. Created the file on a PC and have not opened on iPad - yet)
On iPad select the file from the Dropbox app and then select the Open In icon in the upper right corner.
Choose the app you want to use for editing. To make things easier, app should be able to link to Dropbox (I use QuickOffice - Dropbox appears as a drive/folder directly beneath my local drive/folder)
The file will then open in your editor.
Edit the file and then save the changes to Dropbox drive/folder which you have linked to the editing app (using QuickOffice the file can be saved in any Dropbox folder).
If you are using an editor app that links to Dropbox, you will only have to open from the Dropbox app the first time you edit the file. From then on, the file can be accessed directly from the editor.
I'm sure there are other ways to use Dropbox/GoogleDrive/iCloud to accomplish your goal, but this is the easiest I know of. The only caveat is that you need an app that will (1) edit the type of file you are creating and (2) link to Dropbox.

Thanks, one of the problems we are having though is that applications only seem to upload files to the root dropbox directory, even if you open them in a subdirectory. Is this the case for quickoffice?

You might want to look at Box.com instead. It's geared more towards corporate users and includes things like version tracking and comments on the files.

Many of the same apps that support DropBox also support Box.com.

I will look into it, thanks. I love dropbox, been using it personally for *years*, but it really does lack when it comes to using it at work.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I will look into it, thanks. I love dropbox, been using it personally for *years*, but it really does lack when it comes to using it at work.

Also, Box.com just added a free desktop syncing utility for OS X and Windows; similar to DropBox's utility. Handy.

WillS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WestPoint said:
Thanks, one of the problems we are having though is that applications only seem to upload files to the root dropbox directory, even if you open them in a subdirectory. Is this the case for quickoffice?

Just checked. Opened a file in Quickoffice from a Dropbox subdirectory. Edited the file and saved it. It remained in the original subdirectory in Dropbox.

Most reactions

Latest posts