What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How a 13-in iPad might look: concept images

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
12_9_ipad_ipad_4_mini_light-800x450.jpg
​
Everybody is interested in the launch of the upcoming iPad mini and its fully fledged brother these days. But do you remember those rumors back in May posted by Korean website ETNews.com? They were mentioning that Apple is thinking of upgrading its tablet sector and release a 12.9-inch iPad or the so called iPad maxi.

After that rumors seemed to have disap​​peared into the darkness, but The Wall Street Journal revived them last month, bringing forth the information that Apple has entered the testing stage with its iPad maxi line. So the folks over at MacRumors got their interest sparked and they commissioned CiccareseDesign to come up with some renderings of the purported device. More than that, they wanted images of the three devices alongside one another – the fifth generation iPad, iPad mini and iPad maxi. They also slipped in the 13-inch MacBook Air for comparison. The resulting images are quite telling.

If Apple would indeed release a 12.9-inch iPad it won’t do so by stretching out the existing iPad resolution, as the result would feature an over scaled interface. The screen resolution would also have to see an increase with at least 1366 x 1024 of pixel density or 2712 x 2048 for the Retina Display, if Apple chooses to maintain the 132/264 ppi of the iPad. If however the iPad mini pixel density would be conserved, the resolution of the iPad maxi could reach 1600 x 1200 (3200 x 2400 for a Retina).

Of course, developers will have to step into the picture as well, to help tweak the apps so they would be compatible with a wider screen.

But will we ever see the iPad maxi in retail stores?

Source: MacRumors

Last edited by a moderator:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well that looks mighty good.....would love to see it in the flesh (so to speak)

It could have me rethinking getting the iPad 5 for this beauty!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no plans for changing my iPad3 any time soon, whatever the iPad5 brings, but a Maxi as discussed would definitely have me looking into the Apple store. For me, ideal! IMO that would be innovative of Apple and may well be a rejuvenation of a slipping market share.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me, a 13 inch iPad would be both too big and too heavy. Increasing the screen size that much is going to require a larger battery, and that will contribute significantly to the overall weight of the device. Additionally, I feel a 13 inch iPad would cut into MacBook sales.

fb si

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Apple goes through with this 13 inch iPad, you'll see Apple take an even larger bite out of PC sales.

fb si

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, a 13 inch iPad would be both too big and too heavy. Increasing the screen size that much is going to require a larger battery, and that will contribute significantly to the overall weight of the device. Additionally, I feel a 13 inch iPad would cut into MacBook sales.

As quickly as Li-ion battery technology is developing, it won't necessarily need a larger/heavier battery.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having this; my eyes are going kaput every year I get older LOL.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I agree. I hate phones because that tiny screen is useless to me but this 13" screen stuff is too far the other way, IMO. If you have a good stand or whatever I'm sure movies and TV shows will be great but any other activities would seem to be burdensome.

Most reactions

Latest posts