What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft might be planning an iPad mini competitor

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
7-inch-windows-8-tablet.png

So far, Microsoft hasn’t done very well for itself in the tablet department, where the Apple’s iPad still reigns supreme. But according to new information we stumbled upon, Microsoft is not just yet ready to give up the fight. On the contrary.

Users owning devices with a resolution less than 1,366 x 768 pixels aren’t really invited to try out the new Windows 8 operating system. However, this requirement has been recently dropped. Without making any fuss about it, the tech giant has changed its policy in the resolution department, giving the green light to devices that sport 1,024 x 768. This resolution seems to hint towards a 7-inch or 8-inch screen tablet that – if released, will likely compete with the iPad mini.

Even Apple had to adapt to the growing trend of mini tablets which come at a more accessible price. So, maybe now it’s time for Microsoft to do the same. The company has released the Surface and other Windows 8 tablets, but apparently, the market is oriented towards smaller editions at the moment.

The changes outlined above, were included in the “Windows Certification Newsletter” dating from the 12th of March:

“We’re changing the System.Client.Tablet.Graphics.MinimumResolution requirement to create a consistent minimum resolution of 1024 x 768 at a depth of 32 bits across all Windows 8 system form factors. The physical dimensions of the display panel must still match the aspect ratio of the native resolution. This doesn’t imply that we’re encouraging partners to regularly use a lower screen resolution.”

Adding straw to the fire, Redmond and Barnes & Noble have reportedly teamed up to design a “Microsoft Reader” device of some sorts. Might this be the lower resolution Windows 8 tablet?

Source: Windows Report

Last edited:

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LOL you'd think Microsoft would learn their lesson with the failure of the Surface. Suffice it to say they failed coming into the tablet market now they're going into the mini tablet market going up against the iPad mini and Kindle? You got to wonder where their head is at these days.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LOL you'd think Microsoft would learn their lesson with the failure of the Surface. Suffice it to say they failed coming into the tablet market now they're going into the mini tablet market going up against the iPad mini and Kindle? You got to wonder where their head is at these days.

I hear ya, but if every time a company failed at something and just gave up.... We'd hardly have the cool stuff we have now. Apple has had their share of head scratchers too. Heck, they were basically out of business for a while. I'm glad they stayed the course. :)

IMO, any competition that keeps companies on their toes is worthwhile and welcomed by me. No doubt though that the surface RT is a mess.

fb si

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A tablet that would perform even worse than an android powered machine (been there, done that). I'll pass. Lol

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hear ya, but if every time a company failed at something and just gave up.... We'd hardly have the cool stuff we have now. Apple has had their share of head scratchers too. Heck, they were basically out of business for a while. I'm glad they stayed the course. :) IMO, any competition that keeps companies on their toes is worthwhile and welcomed by me. No doubt though that the surface RT is a mess.
I guess the old saying goes "if you first don't succeed try try again"!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MS is a master at coming from behind. It will be a long haul, but they will eventually be competitive. Apple cannot always be top dog when there is a lot of hungry competition. But they don't have to worry about a Surface Mini ---- yet. :)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MS is a master at coming from behind. It will be a long haul, but they will eventually be competitive. Apple cannot always be top dog when there is a lot of hungry competition. But they don't have to worry about a Surface Mini ---- yet. :)

Really? When was the last time they came from behind with something that rocked your world?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Really? When was the last time they came from behind with something that rocked your world?

Probably never. MS is usually first or near the top, just because they are so ingrained and huge. The tablet market is one where they just don't have a strong hold on or even know what to do. It's obvious that they have the resources to try and make this work. Just like apple has lots of resources to get the ball rolling on something if they want to. Either way, more choices and competition are good. Period! :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bring back the Zune, because in a world dictated to by Steve Ballmer, brown is the new black!

The Archangel

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Probably never. MS is usually first or near the top, just because they are so ingrained and huge. The tablet market is one where they just don't have a strong hold on or even know what to do. It's obvious that they have the resources to try and make this work. Just like apple has lots of resources to get the ball rolling on something if they want to. Either way, more choices and competition are good. Period! :)

If I look back over my working life, it is fair to say that MS has had way more impact than Apple has. Apple is focused mainly in the consumer product realm, where MS is more in the business/productivity realm. MS, IMO, has killed off a lot of innovation in the software realm....gone are true competitors for the productivity suites, programming tools, etc. It's made our work lives with PCs mostly boring. I can't remember the last time I saw some interesting software i just had to have that runs on Windows.

I do hope that the way Apple handles apps spreads throughout the industry. They see hardware as the main thing...and software is something you buy once, and it's yours forever. They want you to buy hardware. MS wants you to buy software (or at least that's how they used to think). It seems that MS is lining up with Apples approach to things...which is why buying hardware like the Surface Pro and even a Surface mini from MS....then they sell you new hardware every so often and you simply redownload your apps. But...since MS has mainly been a software company, they are looking to get you to pay subscription fees. Sadly, I think they will get their way...though it won't happen overnight...but they play for the long term....

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nothing rocks my world......

Just questioning your hypothesis that Microsoft is brilliant at come from behind.

I can't think of anything where they have come from behind and become a leader.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I look back over my working life, it is fair to say that MS has had way more impact than Apple has. Apple is focused mainly in the consumer product realm, where MS is more in the business/productivity realm. MS, IMO, has killed off a lot of innovation in the software realm....gone are true competitors for the productivity suites, programming tools, etc. It's made our work lives with PCs mostly boring. I can't remember the last time I saw some interesting software i just had to have that runs on Windows.

I do hope that the way Apple handles apps spreads throughout the industry. They see hardware as the main thing...and software is something you buy once, and it's yours forever. They want you to buy hardware. MS wants you to buy software (or at least that's how they used to think). It seems that MS is lining up with Apples approach to things...which is why buying hardware like the Surface Pro and even a Surface mini from MS....then they sell you new hardware every so often and you simply redownload your apps. But...since MS has mainly been a software company, they are looking to get you to pay subscription fees. Sadly, I think they will get their way...though it won't happen overnight...but they play for the long term....

I agree. Apples ecosystem is to be commended and replicated where possible. It just works. For the longest time it was compatibility that kept windows users sticking together. Just wasn't feasible to swap files between the two systems. Now, that's less of an issue. I also don't care for the subscription model. For example, I'd love to have a pro version of visual studio but damn its expensive and the cost never goes away. Yuk!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just questioning your hypothesis that Microsoft is brilliant at come from behind.

I can't think of anything where they have come from behind and become a leader.

They come from behind to be a major player...not necessarily a leader....but as they have deep-rooted impact, they actually are a leader [which I think is mostly negative, frankly]. Apple has gotten rich by appealing to consumers, but they don't even register in the business world where people need to get stuff done. Heck, look at the Mac Pro...and all of that Final Cut business. I think it is a shame that such a big company can't keeps its pro-level products up to date. There is only so much that people can do with a tablet and a phone -- no matter what processors you put inside and what the OS can do.

Most reactions

Latest posts