What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone

Razvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome... But now I really hope someone will be able to help me. I have an iPad 2 64 Gb Wi-fi with iOS 5.1.1. For the last couple of weeks I have a problem with it - it just crashes out of the blue. Actually, I just find it shut down after I leave it for a litle while. That wouldn't be such a big problem, but when I try to start it up just doesn't want to. The only way to start it is to do a soft reset. All this never happened before ( with previous iOS ). And yeah, the battery is charged... Any ideas?

Thanks

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

It's unusual that it shuts down by itself, when you say a soft reset is this by way of holding the power and home buttons down simultaneously until the Apple logo appears?

Crashing would normally suggest an app is acting funky or a lack of ram, do you close your apps completely regularly?
From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press an app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, close all your apps, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's a good idea to do this regularly as it helps the iPad run smoothly. Apps that are left open all use bits of ram, so if you have a lot of them open it can cause crashing problems.

Do you have a lot of location services running as they all use ram also, keep these to a minimum. It's also a good idea to clear out your History and Cookies in Safari occasionally as these all save little bits of ram also. Settings - Safari - Clear History and Cookies, if you press the advanced tab here first and then Website Data then Show all Sites you will see all the sites you have been on Safari and all this can add up, so clear history and cookies and start fresh.

All these steps are just general housekeeping for your iPad to run smoothly, do these and let us know how your iPad goes.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

OP
R

Razvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply.

Yeah, that's what I refer to when I say soft reset ( hope it's not totally wrong :D ). I do close the apps regularly. What I didn't do lately was clearing the cookies and history. I did that now and I also reduced the no of apps using the location services ( I had about 17-18 and now I reduced it to 11). I will wait and see how is that going to work and let you know in few days.

Thanks

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Razvan said:
Thanks for the fast reply.

Yeah, that's what I refer to when I say soft reset ( hope it's not totally wrong :D ). I do close the apps regularly. What I didn't do lately was clearing the cookies and history. I did that now and I also reduced the no of apps using the location services ( I had about 17-18 and now I reduced it to 11). I will wait and see how is that going to work and let you know in few days.

Thanks

A reset in this instance is the right remedy......I have had my iPad do this once and a reset fixed it.

That's quite a lot of apps using location services, I only have a couple set and turn others on when needed. But if you have no problems now, it's fine.

Fingers crossed!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

OP
R

Razvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
A reset in this instance is the right remedy......I have had my iPad do this once and a reset fixed it.

That's quite a lot of apps using location services, I only have a couple set and turn others on when needed. But if you have no problems now, it's fine.

Fingers crossed!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

I'm back earlier than I was expecting. It happened again. Leelai, in my case is the only temporary remedy cause that's the only way I can get my iPad to start up again. And I have to do it a couple of times a day ( yes, it crashes 2-3 times a day ). I had the same number of apps using location services for a long time now, didn't install any lately and it never crashed. Maybe it has something to do with the new 5.1.1 iOS? I'm thinking now to back it up and reset it to factory settings. Anyone has any other ideas before I do that?

Thanks again

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Razvan said:
I'm back earlier than I was expecting. It happened again. Leelai, in my case is the only temporary remedy cause that's the only way I can get my iPad to start up again. And I have to do it a couple of times a day ( yes, it crashes 2-3 times a day ). I had the same number of apps using location services for a long time now, didn't install any lately and it never crashed. Maybe it has something to do with the new 5.1.1 iOS? I'm thinking now to back it up and reset it to factory settings. Anyone has any other ideas before I do that?

Thanks again

I'm at a loss here......have the apps you're using all been updated too? When the iPad is updated, apps are also updated to run on it. I haven't heard of other problems like this since the update.

Is your iPad still under warranty?

I've moved your thread to our Help Section where more eyes will view this and hopefully someone may have another suggestion. Good luck!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Most reactions

Latest posts