What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your experience with the VGA adapter?

Reaction score
Does the VGA adapter mirror the screen with iPad 2?

Hey,

I'm a primary school teacher and I'd like to project some of the iPad educative games and apps for kids in my classes using my school's Projector. I know I need to get a VGA adapter for the iPad but before I spend 29 dollars in it I want to know your experiences with it.

I've heard it won't mirror what is on your iPad so it won't show most games and apps, just keynote presentations, pictures, and movies (thus rendering it useless to me) is this true? The Projector available in my school is a bit old and it doesn't have HDMI output so the Apple HDMI adapter that has just come out for the iPad won't work. But then I've read people saying VGA doesn't mirror the iPad screen on iPad 1 but mirrors it on iPad 2. My iPad will be an iPad 2 so I want to know if anyone tried the VGA adapter on iPad 2?

Thanks!

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suppose you could put one more adaptor in the mix, and HDMI to VGA adaptor. No idea what the quality of the video would be after that much adapting.

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a primary school teacher and I'd like to project some of the iPad educative games and apps for kids in my classes using my school's Projector. I know I need to get a VGA adapter for the iPad but before I spend 29 dollars in it I want to know your experiences with it.

I've heard it won't mirror what is on your iPad so it won't show most games and apps, just keynote presentations, pictures, and movies (thus rendering it useless to me) is this true? The Projector available in my school is a bit old and it doesn't have HDMI output so the Apple HDMI adapter that has just come out for the iPad won't work. But then I've read people saying VGA doesn't mirror the iPad screen on iPad 1 but mirrors it on iPad 2. My iPad will be an iPad 2 so I want to know if anyone tried the VGA adapter on iPad 2?

Thanks!
Just tried it with my LCD TV. Yes, screen mirroring works with the iPad 2. No special settings, just plugged it in. Screen rotation works as well. If an app has special controls for an external display (e.g. Keynote or the built-in Video apps), they will override the mirroring so you can still take advantage of them.

Paulkalman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vga adapter reply

I am new to iPad, I am really disappointed that the adapter does not just mirror the display. There are some apps that cause it to work but not all, so be real careful to just get apps that work with the adapter.

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to iPad, I am really disappointed that the adapter does not just mirror the display. There are some apps that cause it to work but not all, so be real careful to just get apps that work with the adapter.
Hi Paulkalman and welcome to the forums. Which version of the iPad do you have? The original iPad (non-jailbroken) required that an application be coded to allow for VGA out. All of the apps I tried on the iPad 2 have worked properly and as expected with mirroring.

Most reactions

Latest posts