What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have an Ipad 3. It is Jailbroke. How to upgrade to IOS6

acdcking12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So with my Ipad 3 set up the way I want it, mainly because it is jailbroke. What would I need to do if I wanted to upgrade to IOS6?

is there a way to safeguard my data so that I can keep my save games data, etc?

Or DO I have to lose this to do the upgrade? If this is correct, would a simple hard reset put me back to a stock Ipad?

This is my first one, so not sure on procedures yet. :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So with my Ipad 3 set up the way I want it, mainly because it is jailbroke. What would I need to do if I wanted to upgrade to IOS6?

is there a way to safeguard my data so that I can keep my save games data, etc?

Or DO I have to lose this to do the upgrade? If this is correct, would a simple hard reset put me back to a stock Ipad?

This is my first one, so not sure on procedures yet. :)

Yes, you can save your data. When/if you decide to upgrade, do a backup of the iPad right after you connect it to iTunes. Then, select "Restore" on the main Summary page. iTunes will put on a fresh iOS and, when prompted, you will then select "restore from backup."

iTunes will put all the info back onto the iPad that you had just before the update/upgrade. As far as I could tell when I did it in the past - all data is there: game progress, emails, contacts, wireless info, etc. Your iPad will be just as you had it - though with iOS 6.

Oh, and you must do it this way with a jail broken iPad. The over-the-air update/upgrade will not work on a jail broken iPad. You must use iTunes.

Obviously, you will lost the jailbreak. For now. :)

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

P.S. And a "hard reset" (holding the buttons until you see the Apple logo) only resets the iPad. It does not affect the installed iOS - your jail break is not affected. And, selecting any of the reset options in your Settings app is the LAST thing a person with a jail broken iPad wants to do. That will seriously mess up the iPad and create the need for a restore (and, if you don't have a fresh backup, your "stuff" will be gone). Just FYI ...

P.P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:
OP
A

acdcking12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very nice. Where will I get the ios6 upgrade from? Or will iTunes see the upgrade available and install during the restore?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can do it over the air in Settings.

Not on a jailbroken device I'm afraid. OTA is not supported in a JB configuration.
iTunes and the PC is the way to go for this member.

After the obligatory backup to iTunes or iCloud, connect to iTunes and choose "restore". You'll get IOS6 assuming its released when you do it.... :)

Last edited:

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Not on a jailbroken device I'm afraid. OTA is not supported in a JB configuration.
iTunes and the PC is the way to go for this member.

After restoring from JB though! They can right?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After restoring from JB though! They can right?

Sure. I was going on the basis the OP was going to restore was after IO6 is out. Going back to stock 5.1.1 now then up to 6 after release is possible too, just a bit more convoluted :)

OP
A

acdcking12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure. I was going on the basis the OP was going to restore was after IO6 is out. Going back to stock 5.1.1 now then up to 6 after release is possible too, just a bit more convoluted :)

But I assume that if I wait till 6 is released, and then follow what you had said to do, I will lose the customization that comes with having a jail broke Ipad, right? All of the themes, etc?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely. If you remove the jailbreak you remove all the enhancement it provides.

OP
A

acdcking12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, cool. One last question. You did say in your first post that if I backed it up, and then hit thew restore button, it would bring me back to the stick 5.11, and then I can restore from backup and my data\games would be back. But I would simply lose the themes, etc....But I would have my games and such back, right?

Thanks for the info..

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, cool. One last question. You did say in your first post that if I backed it up, and then hit thew restore button, it would bring me back to the stick 5.11, and then I can restore from backup and my data\games would be back. But I would simply lose the themes, etc....But I would have my games and such back, right?

Thanks for the info..

Yes, as Marilyn laid out for you above, if you restore the device and restore your backup + sync with iTunes, you should get all your apps, data, save games, media etc. back. The only thing missing will be anything to do with the jailbreak, so themes, tweaks etc.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info..

Yes, same thing applies if you restore now to iOS 5.1.1 versus waiting until iOS 6 is out. When you restore it with iTunes, at some point during the process, iTunes will ask you how you want to restore 'as new" or "restore from backup." That's when you select the backup you made just before beginning the restore process.

You'll end up with all your stock 'stuff" (apps, data, games progress, etc.) but you will have none of the jail break stuff.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
A

acdcking12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just as an update: I did exactly how you guys told me to do and it worked perfectly. I also didnt realize how much space is used on all of the jail broke programs to customize the tablet. I gained a ton of room. And the only think I really miss is being able to skip the unlock screen, and having the ability to skip entering in my itunes password everytime I download something.

Otherwise, all data is there and it is working great, Thanks again.

Most reactions

Latest posts