What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HACKING SECTION RULES - please read.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I should've read this thread sooner to get a better understanding. I only mentioned the name of a certain app and recieving a 1st warning for it. I know saying what it does or even where to get it is violating forum rules but the mere mention of the name? Come on man..give me a break...sheeez. Juss saying!

If you spend any time on the net, you will likely find all sorts of things that are clearly in violation of some rule or law. I think this forum is spot on when they ban and scream and yell and punish someone for merely mentioning the name of a program that exists solely to steal other people's property. I would hate to see this place become a clearing house for stolen property.

1- Stuff from the Apple Store
2- Stuff from the Android Store
3- Illegal game ROMS
4- Stolen wallpaper, music, games, programs, on and on.
5- Stolen movies

All of the above is readily available and stealing it is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Some people cite "Fair Use" without knowing what the hell that really means. Trust me gang, I KNOW exactly what it means and I know the current copyright laws and the DMCA rules and regulations.

It does not mean illegal ROMS can be posted and it certainly does not mean you can make copies of these games. It does not mean entire songs from hard working artists can be uploaded to YouTube. It does not mean entire books can be made available. It does not mean stealing the programs from Apple developers and cracking them so others can get them for free

It does not mean most things IP thieves use to justify their nefarious acts.

So like it or not, forum moderators control what we post because it is right to do so and if they allowed it, all they would be doing is help hard working artists and designers and programmers lose income. And I will always stand up for those that actually create things and struggle long and hard, just to have their efforts taken from them by some Arse that would NEVER EVER accept someone walking into their home and stealing a ten spot from the dining room table.

Bob

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay ~

You can unsimmer. This was very cool to read!

Thanks, Bob

So like it or not, forum moderators control what we post because it is right to do so and if they allowed it, all they would be doing is help hard working artists and designers and programmers lose income. And I will always stand up for those that actually create things and struggle long and hard, just to have their efforts taken from them by some Arse that would NEVER EVER accept someone walking into their home and stealing a ten spot from the dining room table.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay ~

You can unsimmer. This was very cool to read!

Thanks, Bob

Yup.

Bob

nymosis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would I be correct in assuming that discussion of 3G tethering by jailbreaking is perfectly acceptable?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would I be correct in assuming that discussion of 3G tethering by jailbreaking is perfectly acceptable?

Threads regarding tethering and discussion of apps such as MyWi, PDANet, etc. are not forbidden, provided they stick to the rules.

LawPad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, to clarify, if you use legal emulators to run illegally produced and distributed games, you are in violation of the law, period. Does not matter how you try and try again to justify it... it is illegal and that is that.
What? Don't take this the wrong way because it has no malicious intent. That said, your "clarification" is conclusory and rather misleading. Judge Gertner says it best, "completely elastic ... and wholly without support." See Sony BMG Music Entm't v. Tenenbaum, 721 F. Supp. 2d 85, 118 (D. Mass. 2010). Less than 40 years ago, interracial marriages were illegal, codified as miscegenation laws, but the public's perception and policies issues are constantly evolving. Because of this, the law evolves as the sentiment of society (theoretically, ha). Not the best analogy, but hey, it's late. The key is that the law is not static. If it were, our litigious society wouldn't need so many of those evil lawyers. In my opinion, both sides have solid arguments.

If you're truly interested, check out a few of the recent cases citing Sony.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, to clarify, if you use legal emulators to run illegally produced and distributed games, you are in violation of the law, period. Does not matter how you try and try again to justify it... it is illegal and that is that.
What? Don't take this the wrong way because it has no malicious intent. That said, your "clarification" is conclusory and rather misleading. Judge Gertner says it best, "completely elastic ... and wholly without support." See Sony BMG Music Entm't v. Tenenbaum, 721 F. Supp. 2d 85, 118 (D. Mass. 2010). Less than 40 years ago, interracial marriages were illegal, codified as miscegenation laws, but the public's perception and policies issues are constantly evolving. Because of this, the law evolves as the sentiment of society (theoretically, ha). Not the best analogy, but hey, it's late. The key is that the law is not static. If it were, our litigious society wouldn't need so many of those evil lawyers. In my opinion, both sides have solid arguments.

If you're truly interested, check out a few of the recent cases citing Sony.

So just for clarification, you seem to be saying that I am free to download game ROMS or perhaps make them available to others. Is that your contention, counselor? And I think you should perhaps leave interracial marriage out of the discussion because it only serves to muddy the IP discussions. And take no offense.

I contend that a ROM -- Pacman for example -- is not mine to buy, sell, or distribute without written permission from the developer or owner. It is legally protected code. I further contend that it is intellectual property owned by someone and sans permission, I am violating the law.

I further contend that those that do make them available are doing so illegally.

Further, this forum does not allow us to provide links and sources or discussions about ROMS (I seem to recall that, corrections are most welcome) so it is not just my silly ideas and/or malformed conclusions.

I did not draw a conclusion, I stated a fact. And in no way am I being misleading.

So before the IPF Judge bangs the e-gavel, perhaps you can site specific laws that allow me to DL ROMS that do not belong to me. If this were court, you would be required to cite a few legal things. So prove me wrong, please.

Reaction score
I should've read this thread sooner to get a better understanding. I only mentioned the name of a certain app and recieving a 1st warning for it. I know saying what it does or even where to get it is violating forum rules but the mere mention of the name? Come on man..give me a break...sheeez. Juss saying!

If you spend any time on the net, you will likely find all sorts of things that are clearly in violation of some rule or law. I think this forum is spot on when they ban and scream and yell and punish someone for merely mentioning the name of a program that exists solely to steal other people's property. I would hate to see this place become a clearing house for stolen property.

1- Stuff from the Apple Store
2- Stuff from the Android Store
3- Illegal game ROMS
4- Stolen wallpaper, music, games, programs, on and on.
5- Stolen movies

All of the above is readily available and stealing it is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Some people cite "Fair Use" without knowing what the hell that really means. Trust me gang, I KNOW exactly what it means and I know the current copyright laws and the DMCA rules and regulations.

It does not mean illegal ROMS can be posted and it certainly does not mean you can make copies of these games. It does not mean entire songs from hard working artists can be uploaded to YouTube. It does not mean entire books can be made available. It does not mean stealing the programs from Apple developers and cracking them so others can get them for free

It does not mean most things IP thieves use to justify their nefarious acts.

Bob

+1
Thanks Bob
Regardless of the morality or legality issues, the OWNERS of this forum said don't allow it, the moderators do as instructed, therefore it is what it is.
the setup/rules/administrative and moderating team of this forum and its sister sites is a very good model for other forums to follow.
"Individual fair rights and freedoms" and all that jazz end here when one accepts the TAC of being a member.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

All it takes is the name, then Google finds it. And . . . we are here as guests so we should obey.

Bob

He is not here any longer as he didn't "obey" as you say. Posts are bumped that are almost 6 months old.

Please don't debate or try to dissect these rules. They won't change, people.

Just follow them and happy JB'ing!:)

rmenriquez00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Read the Forum Rules and Hijacking

I have read the rules and will follow them, Thanks fore reminding me.

Most reactions

Latest posts