What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GSM not working, Wi-Fi OK. Re-seller says cannot repair

OP
D

DoThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I apologise for my slow reply.
"Don't forget your passcode" Unfortunately my wife has no idea what it is, as one of the staff where she bought it did everything for her, and didn't communicate any useful information.
We were going to another mobile shop to ask them to test using another sim, however, we don't need to now. Last night the iPad came up with a message on its own, saying it had completed an upgrade. The GSM connection then started working of its own accord! This despite the Apple shop telling us it was broken and we needed to buy a new one.
I'm just so pleased that I joined up here to ask for info about IPads, as I just didn't feel what they told us in the shop stacked up. We won't be going to that shop again (Udon Thani, Thailand).

Thanks again to everyone who replied and offered advice.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like it may have been stuck on a cellular update. These updates come from your cellular provider, not Apple. They have to do with how the iPad communicates with the cell towers, mostly updates on available towers and channels.

Normally you get a popup that askes if you want to apply the update now. Saying yes usually only takes a few seconds, and you won't see any obviouls changes, but I can see how a botched update would hose your GSM connection. You can ask the carrier to re-send the update, and it sounds like this is what your carrier did; probably as part of some routine reseting of your service when asked for help.

Well, I'm glad it is sorted, however it happened.

Most reactions

Latest posts