Took the iPad 2 for a long road trip overseas.......

Discussion in 'iPad Travel Forum' started by SERT, Apr 27, 2011.

1. SERT

SERT iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys! I'm glad this thread has been helping some folks along during your trips.

Ref Vietnam
    What a resourceful group of folks. Using earrings to pop the SIM tray open, making a custom paper punch to help in punching the regular SIMs. The list just goes on and one. Evelyn, my recommendations for an iTraveler or iExplorer is to invest in a good sim cut punch. Those things don't cost much at all and I usually get offers to trade 'em for a local sim card :) That and the fact that they will always remember you and when you come around the next time, you see that big smile on their faces 'cos they are the new go to guys for 'custom' micro sim.

*Always make sure that when there are options, buy the sim that is meant for web/internet.

It's tentative for now but my next trip is planned for Kenya and possibly Ghana. If I do make it there this month I will make sure to update everyone on my iPad use. Africa appears to be gaining ground in mobile use and I think Orange in Kenya already has micro sim cards. We'll see.

Safe travels to one and all.

Helm
  2. Evelynvdh

Evelynvdh iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Helm. I'm not sure I could be as precise as our guy in "Lembang" and his scissors but definitely I'll look into it! We could have the " iPad around around the world" and what works, wrapped up with this thread. This is all really interesting!!!!!!
  3. SERT

SERT iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nairobi, Kenya

Hey guys,

Quick update from the road. Currently in Nairobi, Kenya and I was able to pick up a micro SIM card from one of the mobile providers here, Orange. Here's a link to their website.

One thing to note is that after inserting the SIM it does require you to enter the APN number for the connection to work. The APN number you need is 'bew.orange.co.ke'

The micro SIM cost 50KSH (Kenyan Shillings) and I started off with 500KSH top up. The folks at Orange will activate the card and top it up for you.

Haven't had a chance to test much of the iPad out other than the usual emails and web. Did use Google Map for one trip and it worked flawlessly. That said, the 3G connection is not widely available so expect drops along the way.

FYI, $1 USD = 90KSH

Will have more on my the next leg of my trip.

Cheers,

Helm
  4. dipaul

dipaul iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dear International ipad2 users,
    I will be traveling to the DR Congo, Uganda and Central African Republic for about six months. Does anyone have any experience using the ipad2 in these countries? Thank you very much!

DP
  5. leelai

leelai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,366 / 0
    Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
    Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
    http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
    A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
    http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
    We have rules like any Community so please read these also
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  6. kirstyghent

kirstyghent iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, I'm currently in China with my iPad2 and cannot get onto sites like Facebook and YouTube due to web restrictions. You can get onto these sites using a program called freeu. But because this runs on Windows I cannot use them. I have only been here one week (and will be here a year!!!) and its already driving me crazy.

And due to the web restrictions I cant even search online for how to get round these problems

Anyone got any suggestions? any help would be appreciated!

Thanks Kirsty
  7. freebirdforever

freebirdforever iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Your SOL im afraid. Its the countries restrictions.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
  8. kirstyghent

kirstyghent iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know it's the countries restrictions, just wondering if anyone knows a way to run a windows program off an iPad? Will remotely accessing a computer with windows and the program on work?
  9. Undefined.

Undefined. iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Wow, That sounds amazing:) The furthest I've been with my iPad is the Philippines.I've been planning to go around Asia for most of my life, or been wanting to anyway, so hope you're enjoying yourself:)
  10. lukepast

lukepast iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "sometime in the near future I'm going to try to find a good waterproof bag for it when I attempt to circumnavigate Koh Mak in a kayak."

Try AquaPac :
    http://store.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-ipad-laptop-cases.html

11. freebirdforever

freebirdforever iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    You could use splashtop or teamviewer to remote desktop with your computer over wifi.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
  12. SERT

SERT iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have used Teamviewer on several occasions and it works like a charm as long as connection wherever you are is not shoddy.

Just got back from Uganda and no issues there with the iPad. One provider to consider is Orange and there are tons of places to buy SIMs from. Not all may have the micro but they will cut it for you if need be.

Helm
  13. Mordor

Mordor iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    In Brazil check for sim cards from either TIM or CLARO carriers. They got pre-paid 3G access for 0,50 cents a day. Just don't tell them it's for an iPad for they might refuse selling it and try to convince you to subscripe some of their data plans (which are a rip off!!).