What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS

OP
L

Landcruiser262

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I have not got the iPad yet, it will be Tesco on vouchers. I read today about something called a Bad Elf attachment which sounds as though it gives you GPS, do you know of it?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I have not got the iPad yet, it will be Tesco on vouchers. I read today about something called a Bad Elf attachment which sounds as though it gives you GPS, do you know of it?
I'm not familiar with that unit but there are various GPS units on the market that will connect to your iPad via Bluetooth and display the location info on your iPad screen. This requires a separate unit to work with your iPad and is not as convenient as an all in one unit like the WiFi plus cellular iPad.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Bad Elf is one of many Bluetooth GPS receivers that will work with the iPad. There are some discussions on adding Bluetooth GPS elsewhere on these forums. You should be able to find them using the search function. (Top right corner of the screen).

Since you don't have an iPad yet, make sure you check out how much more a cellular version iPad will cost over the WiFi model. It may be that buying a WiFi only iPad and then buying an external GPS will cost you more than purchasing an iPad with the GPS already built in.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't just figure in the cost in dollars. There's also a cost in having to setup and pair a GPS reciever with the iPad, limitations on what apps are going to work with it, and other minor annoyances.

An external GPS would have to be ridiculously cheap and rarely used for me to consider using it. But you may feel differently.

Hold in mind the GPS in the cellular model will work without a carriere contract; though it may not be quite as accurate or fast. (But still faster than an external unit)

OP
L

Landcruiser262

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Bad Elf is one of many Bluetooth GPS receivers that will work with the iPad. There are some discussions on adding Bluetooth GPS elsewhere on these forums. You should be able to find them using the search function. (Top right corner of the screen).

Since you don't have an iPad yet, make sure you check out how much more a cellular version iPad will cost over the WiFi model. It may be that buying a WiFi only iPad and then buying an external GPS will cost you more than purchasing an iPad with the GPS already built in.
Thanks for that
According to an Apple store the Bad Elf App can be downloaded for free from Apple. Your tghoughts would be appreciated.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The APP is free. If you read the description on iTunes, you'll see you need HARDWARE.... The free app allows the Bad Elf GPS receiver (that you need to buy) to communicate with the iPad.

I just took a peek at Apple.com and see the WiFi+Cellular iPad 2 (with the built in GPS receiver) costs $130 more than the comparable WiFi only model (with no built in GPS receiver).

I took a peek on Amazon.com and see the basic Bad Elf GPS receiver goes for around $150.00

So, if you want GPS and purchase the WiFi only (non GPS) model, you'll need to also spend more money on an external GPS unit.

As mentioned, it costs an extra $130 to buy an iPad with a GPS receiver built in. The WiFi only (non GPS) iPad will cost you $130 less, but you'll need to spend around $150 to add the required Bad Elf iPad GPS receiver.

You lose $20 adding a Bad Elf GPS receiver to a WiFi only iPad

OP
L

Landcruiser262

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The APP is free. If you read the description on iTunes, you'll see you need HARDWARE.... The free app allows the Bad Elf GPS receiver (that you need to buy) to communicate with the iPad.

I just took a peek at Apple.com and see the WiFi+Cellular iPad 2 (with the built in GPS receiver) costs $130 more than the comparable WiFi only model (with no built in GPS receiver).

I took a peek on Amazon.com and see the basic Bad Elf GPS receiver goes for around $150.00

So, if you want GPS and purchase the WiFi only (non GPS) model, you'll need to also spend more money on an external GPS unit.

As mentioned, it costs an extra $130 to buy an iPad with a GPS receiver built in. The WiFi only (non GPS) iPad will cost you $130 less, but you'll need to spend around $150 to add the required Bad Elf iPad GPS receiver.

You lose $20 adding a Bad Elf GPS receiver to a WiFi only iPad
That is one of the most helpful replies I have ever had. I assume from that, that it would be free to use the GPS with other Apps which are available.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you get the cellular modle with the bullt in GPS, then it will work with any iPad app that uses location data. That would be all the GPS and map apps avaialable for the iPad, plus quite a few more.

The elfGPS and it's app are unlikely to support as much, and you will be dependant on the elfGPS developers to keep up support for thier app.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As twerppoet points out, the GPS will work. (Even without a celllular subscription).

What apps do you plan on using and what type of navigation will you be doing?

Just for info... Some apps don't store maps on your iPad. They download them as required. If you get out of WiFi range, then you require an active cellular connection in order to download maps in real time.

Make sure you download an app that loads all the maps on your iPad. For instance, the iPad map app and Google Maps require a cellular connection in order to display what is around you.

Also.. Location services will work reasonably well on a WiFi only iPad without a GPS receiver. It gets it information by triangulating nearby WiFi sites. It's not quite as accurate, but it does work. If you're just navigating around populated areas, there will be enough WiFi hot spots to obtain an accurate location and you won't need a GPS receiver. -- But if you're out on the open highway far from houses and buildings, then you'll need the built in GPS

OP
L

Landcruiser262

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks jwt873. Most of the navigation is following legal off-road routes allover the UK. What I find surprising is that no Tablet seems to have stand alone GPS like my fairly old Galaxy S2 for no charge. I know it can be tethered to the tablet. I just cannot make up my mind whether to buy the WiFi only or get the cellular version of Tab S2.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks jwt873. Most of the navigation is following legal off-road routes allover the UK. What I find surprising is that no Tablet seems to have stand alone GPS like my fairly old Galaxy S2 for no charge. I know it can be tethered to the tablet. I just cannot make up my mind whether to buy the WiFi only or get the cellular version of Tab S2.
Every WiFi plus cellular iPad has stand alone GPS that works without a cellular data plan or a WiFi connection.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok.. If you're traveling back roads, you'll need true GPS.

Out of interest, I also have an old Galaxy 10.1 tablet with a built in GPS receiver and it has no cellular capability. So it is possible to do this... I don't know why Apple chose to provide GPS only with the cellular model iPads.

I use my cellular iPad Air a lot for navigation. I love the big 10 inch screen. It's so much better than the standard 4 to 6 inch screens you get in the standard car units made by outfits like Tom Tom, Garmin, and Magellan.

When they announced the iPad Pro, I was looking forward to navigating with a 12 inch screen :) But they only provide GPS/Cellular in the most expensive 128 Gigabyte model.. That made it a little too rich for my blood. I'll be keeping my Air for the next couple of years.

OP
L

Landcruiser262

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every WiFi plus cellular iPad has stand alone GPS that works without a cellular data plan or a WiFi connection.
Thanks. What is actually meant by assisted GPS and Glonass.. I know that GLONASS is the Russian version of GPS but what is the "assisted" bit mean.

Most reactions

Latest posts