What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3G - Stand Alone GPS?

jtr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm hoping to purchase an Ipad 3G today but an important factor for me is that the GPS be stand alone. Could someone who was fortunate enough to get one already determine if you can get a gps fix without having a data connection.

Thanks

OP
J

jtr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, you will have to have a data communication in order for your iPad to give you a GPS fix.

Have you been able to confirm this? I've read conflicting information regarding the need for a data connection. For example on my cell phone I can use the gps just fine with no data connection. I was hoping the same is true on the iPad 3G.

Terry2543

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 3G has agps built in. Yes, it can tell you where you are without data connection. On the other hand, the wifi iPad needs data service to triangulate the iPad s location.

OP
J

jtr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 3G has agps built in. Yes, it can tell you where you are without data connection. On the other hand, the wifi iPad needs data service to triangulate the iPad s location.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that was the case. I'm planning on purchasing the 3G but will rarely need to "sign up" for the data plan, but I will occasionaly want to use the GPS with software such as CoPilot (which should allow me to have all the maps stored locally.)

Most reactions