What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External GPS device vs Internal GPS

gardavin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an IPAD 1 with wifi and 3G that has an internal GPS. I am a pilot that uses the iPad for secondary tracking of flights. The internal gps works ok during low altitude flights but seems to go out and back in as I climb to higher altitudes. I understand that there are a few devices like the Bad Elf GPS that will work at higher altitudes and at greater speeds. But the reviews I have read state that you need to have an iPad WITHOUT gps for it to work.

Is there a way to disable the internal gps?

Is there a flight map out there that will allow you to use an external gps devise to over ride the internal gps?

Is there another product similar to the Bad Elf GPS that will work with my iPad?

Is my only solution is to get another iPad without gps?

Thanks,
Gonzalo

OP
G

gardavin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the prior thread; it answered many questions.

I guess the only question I have left to this is if I use an external gps device like the Bad Elf, will it overide or substitute the internal gps or will they "fight each other"?

If I desconnect the internal gps from the settings will I be disconnecteing the Bad Elf device as well or will it work fine?

Thanks again for your info.....

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I guess the only question I have left to this is if I use an external gps device like the Bad Elf, will it overide or substitute the internal gps or will they "fight each other"?

If I desconnect the internal gps from the settings will I be disconnecteing the Bad Elf device as well or will it work fine?

I have the same question. I haven't found a way to use the GPS on my mobile hotspot with the iPad. If I turn off "location services" I can't find a way for various map apps to use the GPS on the mobile hotspot. But having said that, it's not the same as having a dedicated GPS unit. Hopefully someone with more expertise will contribute to the thread.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hello

I am also a pilot and use flight software on my IPad. If you have an internal gps (G3 IPad) and use a external gps as well, the built in gps is disabled.

If you saw my other thread, you will see Im not a fan of the Bad Elf unit. It's easy to knock loss, gets in the way of most if not all iPad mounts, and it's almost in the same location as the built in gps receiver so you may still have receiver problems with it depending on the type of aircraft you're in.

The unit I like is the XGPS150. I toss it on the glare shield and it always receives a strong signal. It also works at low and high altitudes.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same question. I haven't found a way to use the GPS on my mobile hotspot with the iPad. If I turn off "location services" I can't find a way for various map apps to use the GPS on the mobile hotspot. But having said that, it's not the same as having a dedicated GPS unit. Hopefully someone with more expertise will contribute to the thread.

I "believe" that if you have a iPhone, it can share it's GPS information with an iPad when connected, but not mobile hot spots.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Are you using Foreflight or WingX? I like WingX my self.

scott95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using foreflight but i'm thinking of switching to wingX. Having the ability to view the enroute maps as well as the approach plates would be helpful. WingX got it right on this one. Does anyone have any other pros/cons with wingX?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The dual XGPS150 served me well with my iPad 2 Wifi.

Most reactions