What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use external GPS antenna with iPad Air?

MSWAMY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to connect an external GPS antenna to the Lightning port of an iPad Air and get better GPS position reception? Would it "make" the physical connection to the internal GPS by plugging it into the Lightning port? Would doing this damage the iPad in any way? The internal GPS on my iPad works fine on the ground, but when I use it in the air (with my aviation app) it does not work reliably in aircraft with heated cockpit windows. Wondering if any of you Hi Tech folks can address this issue!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no connection between the Lightning port and the built in GPS antenna. Hooking up an antenna would either do nothing, or short out and damage the port, depending on what pins were connected.

There used to be some GPS devices that could be paired with iOS devices using Bluetooth. ELF GPS or Bad ELF GPS I think; made primarily for pilots. It’s possible they still exist. I’d go snooping in that direction if I were you. Read up carefully so you understand what the limitations are.

I did a brief search, and at least a few articles popped up.

OP
M

MSWAMY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no connection between the Lightning port and the built in GPS antenna. Hooking up an antenna would either do nothing, or short out and damage the port, depending on what pins were connected.

There used to be some GPS devices that could be paired with iOS devices using Bluetooth. ELF GPS or Bad ELF GPS I think; made primarily for pilots. It’s possible they still exist. I’d go snooping in that direction if I were you. Read up carefully so you understand what the limitations are.

I did a brief search, and at least a few articles popped up.

OP
M

MSWAMY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, there are GPS receivers available that can be paired to aviation software on the iPad, like the Bad Elf. I guess it was wishful thinking that an external antenna could be used via the Lightning port to get better reception from the iPad's internal GPS receiver. Thanks for that info.

Most reactions

Latest posts