1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

GPS without SIM and Contract!

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by NumbLock, May 28, 2010.

1. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    I just wanted to let you know if you're like me and wondering that the GPS does work fine with no 3G contract and SIM. I haven't even opened the SIM slot yet.

I also installed my iPhone navigation software (iGo)and it works even better than on the iPhone. The updated of your position seem much faster than on the iPhone, and it seems more accurate.

Ok, the graphics in x2 mode are a little pixelated, but I doubt I'll be looking that closely when driving.
  2. zman

zman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Cool! This is turn-by-turn nav right? Is iGo the best nav app for the iPhone?
  3. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    It is turn-by-turn yes.

I had it for one of my previous phones so it was comfortable to transition. It was also the cheapest. Their maps in Europe seem to be among the best.

It is missing Google integration which bugs me a little. That's the only thing from holding me back from calling it the best.
  4. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Yes the iPad 3g has built in GPS. No need to sign up for 3G service to get it working. The ipad has a newer more accurate GPS chip than the iPhones have. What this means is that while the iphone is acurrate to within about 60 feet the iPad is accurate within about 16 feet(much better). Note that turning 3G service off completely you will still be able to use GPS and battery will last about 1 hour longer (10h with 3g on, 9h with it off). However even if your not paying for 3G service, having the 3G feature turned on will help your GPS find your location much faster since it knows where all the 3G towers are it starts off knowing what city its in and zero's in on your exact location instead of zeroing in not knowing where in the world you are.

I have used most of the GPS apps, major ones would be Navigon, tomtom, iGo, CoPilot...
    Navigon is by far the best, Tomtom/iGo come in second.

If you dont know about it already you may want to check out Geocaching. There is a geocaching app in the app store (so worth the $10) and register yourself an account for free at geocaching.com.
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  5. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Okay, so here is a perhaps stupid question....

In my sig you see the simple iPad that I have. I have a JB iPhone and tether to my iPad for my away from WIFI internet.... I understand that my iPad does not have the GPS chip... but when I tether to my Iphone... I seem to be able to use maps and such just fine....

I assume it is just working off the 3G? Or is any of the iPhone GPS coming into play?

I seldom actually use GPS, but the maps app works great when I tether to my iPhone...
  6. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    No, it doesnt send the GPS from the iphone. Im pretty sure there are hacks to do this but the simple answer is no.

The maps app will work as long as you have wifi connection. Now, wifi only ipad uses a few tricks to get its location. It looks at its internet IP and can posably get a general location (not so much when on cell connection) and it also looks out over wifi for any wifi hotspots in the area. It checks the internet if any of these hotspots have its location logged. if it does it knows your general area because your within wifi reach of it.

there are companies that have masive amout of wifi hotspot location info. Someone could drive down your street logging all the wifi hot spots and locations. The ipad checks these databases of hotspots to find a location.
  7. JiiKoo

JiiKoo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    no GPS

I bought an 3G iPad, and it had a AT&T SIM pre-installed. As I live in Finland i didn't activate the AT&T contract. I used the GPS with both iPad's own map and TomTom, and they worked great.

Now when I'm back in Finland the GPS doesn't work. Not with the AT&T SIM or without. I even made a SIM from an old local operator's SIM (Sonera) and it works great for data, but the GPS remains dead...

Has anyone had similar experiences...?
  8. siliconrane

siliconrane iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Nope, not yet. I hope that I don't have this problem. Keep us posted and let us know if it starts to work again.
  9. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    No. In fact, my GPS worked perfectly with no SIM at all installed.

Is it possible you have GPS turned off? Or told the App that you didn't want him to use your location?