What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going Paperless (Magazines, Newspapers, Docs)

Road Warrior

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.nomadz.net
I've been aggressively moving everything paper over to my iPad with pretty good results.

For Magazine subscriptions, I use Zinio. I have about 20+ subscriptions that sync over the air directly to my device. It's such a pleasure not to have to use iTunes to do this! After some teething troubles - and frequent crashing - the Zinio team have made a stable application that is improving all the time. Over the last couple of weeks, it has been given a speed increase - although, scrolling magazine pages is still a little slower than I would like. Zooming in on a page is also a little delayed... but not unbearable by any means. I have already downloaded 52 magazines to the device without problems so far, so I am impressed.

For Newspapers, I use PressDisplay. I don't know why more people don't know about this, because it's absolutely incredible. 1500+ newspapers delivered over the air to the iPad in their original format. I have chosen to have 5 of my top favourite newspapers sync on a daily basis. It's a pleasure to crack open the iPad on my commute to work and read the broadsheets - as they were meant to be read - in full fidelity and in colour. Cleverly, they avoid the whole zooming in and out delays by allowing you to click on a mast headline, which results in a text pop-up (with pictures) of the article that you can scroll through. Turning pages is surprisingly fast, given that amount of information that is being processed. You can, of course, zoom in on the page if you like but it's not necessary.

For Documents, I like ReaddleDoc. It handles Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint files pretty well, although there are the occasional discrepancies with diagrams in powerpoint. However, it's really the PDF handling that I think is the most exceptional. I have thrown various different types of PDFs with different compression settings at the application without any probs so far. I have tried Clearscan and the latest Adobe 9 formats. I haven't yet tried JPEG2000. The app also connects to Internet shared folders and servers extremely well, in addition to MobileMe's iDisk.

I have scanned a lot of books and moved them to my iPad. Yes, I have both Stanza, iBook and the Kindle app - but not everything is available in a digital format. I bought a large guillotine cutter and I have been scanning my library of favourite books. It's sad to have to cut these books up but this is outweighed by the pleasure of having them on my iPad to read anytime, anywhere. I put them on a folder in the MobileMe iDisk, so I don't have to load them all on the iPad until I'm ready to read them. I've scanned 134 books so far and roughly 340 magazines... so, it's turning into quite a back catalogue. However, Clearscan compresses things like a dream and the text in these documents is full-text searchable.

Onwards and Upwards...

Sincerely,

Road Warrior

iPadGator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for posting these app suggestions. Never have seen these mentioned anywhere else!

OP
R

Road Warrior

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.nomadz.net
Sorry, yes, PressDisplay is called PressReader on the iPad/iPhone. Bear in mind that the subscriptions aren't cheap. But, then again, you get a lot for your money. Newsjunkies have to feed their habit somehow!

nanohits

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, yes, PressDisplay is called PressReader on the iPad/iPhone. Bear in mind that the subscriptions aren't cheap. But, then again, you get a lot for your money. Newsjunkies have to feed their habit somehow!

I think the prices are extremely reasonable and great value. I currently pay $30 for a months worth of newspaper. Now for that price I can get a months worth of newspapers in pretty much most countries. So huge bonus plus cancel my subscription with Wall Street Journal as I prefer the Asian edition which is in Pressreader.

I only wish PressReader had landscape reading and also the Auto delivery means that it would automatically every morning deliver the newspaper of my choice.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only wish PressReader had landscape reading and also the Auto delivery means that it would automatically every morning deliver the newspaper of my choice.

Autodelivery is the one big thing I want from every newspaper/magazine app.
I actually expect the app to do that. I mean, I get my emails pushed onto my iPad, why not my newspapers or magazines?

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
For Newspapers, I use PressDisplay. I don't know why more people don't know about this, because it's absolutely incredible.
Then later you wrote...
First, let me say along with others, thanks for these tidbits!

Second, the reason PressDisplay isn't known is because the newspapers themselves aren't saying anything about it, specifically International Herald Tribune, which brings me to...

Third: I'd like to hear more about PressDisplay. I went to the site and they have a screwy system where for about ten dollars per month you get 31 credits. What does that actually mean in terms of what you can read? Can I read, say, 2 newspapers everyday? (The IHT costs 3 euros per day on newstands, which is close to 4 dollars, so $10 is already a great deal.) But, in general, I'd just like to hear more how you use it and what you've found works for you as a regular reader.

Last: Have you heard of Exact Editions? They have Literary Review, MusicTech, Real Travel, but I think it's nowhere near as sophisticated as PressDisplay, but it's another resource.

Thanks again for the info! (BTW, I'm going to the Frome Festival from July 11 to 14, in case you're going...we could meet up. Send me a private message if you want.)

nanohits

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For Newspapers, I use PressDisplay. I don't know why more people don't know about this, because it's absolutely incredible.
Then later you wrote...

Third: I'd like to hear more about PressDisplay. I went to the site and they have a screwy system where for about ten dollars per month you get 31 credits. What does that actually mean in terms of what you can read? Can I read, say, 2 newspapers everyday? (The IHT costs 3 euros per day on newstands, which is close to 4 dollars, so $10 is already a great deal.) But, in general, I'd just like to hear more how you use it and what you've found works for you as a regular reader.

Last: Have you heard of Exact Editions? They have Literary Review, MusicTech, Real Travel, but I think it's nowhere near as sophisticated as PressDisplay, but it's another resource.

Thanks again for the info! (BTW, I'm going to the Frome Festival from July 11 to 14, in case you're going...we could meet up. Send me a private message if you want.)

Hi Rowan,

31 credits means pretty much 31 issues which means if you read 2 papers a day its 2 credits a day which means those credits will last you for 15 odd days before it runs out and any reorder is 75 cents a credit. My suggestion would be to go for the $29.95 unlimited plan which means you can read any of the 1500 newspapers any time any day with only that set fee.

nanohits

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know how the auto delivery works in Press Reader? Is it supposed to deliver the paper or even with this set I still need to go and download each issue? Not sure its function and how it works as I have a few papers set to Auto deliver but it does nothing.

OP
R

Road Warrior

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.nomadz.net
Autodelivery automatically downloads your subscriptions to your iPad. You first need to select which subscriptions you want to have autodelivered, then the date range for which you want the subscription to be active. After that, whenever you click on Download, the latest periodicals in your subscription list will be downloaded. If you miss a few days, it will download the ones you missed.. up to a point. It also depends upon your subscription, I think, how many issues back you can do this.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
Hi Rowan,

31 credits means pretty much 31 issues which means if you read 2 papers a day its 2 credits a day which means those credits will last you for 15 odd days before it runs out and any reorder is 75 cents a credit. My suggestion would be to go for the $29.95 unlimited plan which means you can read any of the 1500 newspapers any time any day with only that set fee.
Hmm, a lot of newspapers for any one day!

Road Warrior, I forgot to ask you: What is this guillotine paper cutter you're using? To cut the spins off books? Seriously? I'd like to know the make and model and I think you owe us a photo of this crazy operation you've got going on!

Solitar6y

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Rowan,

Hmm, a lot of newspapers for any one day!

Road Warrior, I forgot to ask you: What is this guillotine paper cutter you're using? To cut the spins off books? Seriously? I'd like to know the make and model and I think you owe us a photo of this crazy operation you've got going on!

I agree! It brings to mind an image of a living room fraught full of violence towards the written word, as varied sheets of paper, covers and bindings are scattered haphazardly as the books left intact try to scream and run...

Most reactions

Latest posts