Going Paperless (Magazines, Newspapers, Docs)

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Road Warrior, May 14, 2010.

1. nanohits

nanohits
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

2. nanohits

nanohits
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know how the auto delivery works in Press Reader? Is it supposed to deliver the paper or even with this set I still need to go and download each issue? Not sure its function and how it works as I have a few papers set to Auto deliver but it does nothing.

3. Road Warrior

Road Warrior
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Autodelivery automatically downloads your subscriptions to your iPad. You first need to select which subscriptions you want to have autodelivered, then the date range for which you want the subscription to be active. After that, whenever you click on Download, the latest periodicals in your subscription list will be downloaded. If you miss a few days, it will download the ones you missed.. up to a point. It also depends upon your subscription, I think, how many issues back you can do this.

4. rowan

rowan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, a lot of newspapers for any one day!

Road Warrior, I forgot to ask you: What is this guillotine paper cutter you're using? To cut the spins off books? Seriously? I'd like to know the make and model and I think you owe us a photo of this crazy operation you've got going on!

5. Solitar6y

Solitar6y
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I agree! It brings to mind an image of a living room fraught full of violence towards the written word, as varied sheets of paper, covers and bindings are scattered haphazardly as the books left intact try to scream and run...

6. epb

epb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Come on, you guys have to have seen one before - they were a staple of most schools. We still have a couple at the office. Most people just call them paper cutters, though guillotine is also used. It's a wooden block with a grid carved into it for aligning the paper, and then a large, sharp blade that can be lowered to cut the pages. If you load too many sheets, you get really jagged edges.

7. Ol!ver

Ol!ver
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    PressReader might actually be the app I've been waiting for, and I'm very surprised more people aren't shouting about it.

Do they do any kind of international pricing?

8. rowan

rowan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hence my question. Yeah, there are paper cutters that can cut several, maybe even a dozen or so sheets, but a magazine? The binding off a book?

9. tail24

tail24
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I just love the fact that I can have magazines be paperless. AND CHEAP! Zinio does like sales/price breaks all the time. I just got 5 yearly subscriptions for $5 each. Those subscriptions of paper form are all over $25 each for the year and all over 65$ if you were to buy each issue off the rack. I check every couple days to see if any deals are going on. My fiancee works in Jewelry design and often has her pieces as accessories on models in the womens magazines such as Elle, Cosmo, ect. Now she just picks up the ipad and scrolls through looking for her stuff and we take a screen shot of it then print it rather then going to store paging through and then buying the issue just to rip the page out for her portfolio. Makes my life easier cheaper and really I may end up breaking even on buying an ipad buy the time she is done with it. lol

As for ebook readers I am hoping that Stanza for iphone comes out with an ipad version. I like that I can upload ebooks from my computer kind of like what you can do in goodreader. I have lots of ebooks on my comp and would be nice to move them to stanza on my ipad like i do on my iphone. I found it easier to use and has more features then kindle app.

#19 tail24, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  10. rowan

rowan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    How specifically did you get those discounts? Did you call or just wait for a sale or contact them somehow?