Galaxy to iPad.................now thinking of returning

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by islandman, Feb 8, 2016.

1. islandman

islandman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    For about a year, I had a samsung galaxy tab 3, then sold it in favour of an ipad, (not mini). I really feel this has been a good move, but it never ceases to amaze me when I either use this forum or simply browse the posts, that the great number of people that clearly use an ipad, but find it necessary to ask questions. Is it that ipads are difficult to operate or are people slightly disadvantaged is a polite way of saying it.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to look at galaxy photo's on someone else's machine and was astounded at the picture quality and when I mentioned it, they replied, that's because it is a samsung and yours is an ipad. As if the ipad is the poor relation.

Then in conversation, it came up that they had many films on their galaxy, because by adding memory to their 16GB they have expanded their machine. Then they replied of course "you are stuck with your 16GB ipad, you can't do that". They added "that's the catch with ipad's. they know when people have almost exceeded their 16gb, they have to reinvest.

So, this has made me restless. I couldn't raise the profile for ipads other than to say, but we don't need antivirus which went down like a lead balloon.

Todays emails didn't help, as there was one from Samsung inviting me to enroll for a preview on the 16th, of their latest tablet. Oh dear, itchy feet, that's unless you can convince me otherwise.

2. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    My Mother in Law has the Tab 3 and I don't think the camera is that great at all, maybe slightly better than the iPad 2 (which is horrible). But that is just my humble opinion. In the end it's best to chose what device works best for you. I personally am not a fan of Android but I can understand and appreciate how it would appeal to some , the same way the iOS appeals to others.

3. islandman

islandman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ok then Brian, so what do you feel about being able to increase memory.

4. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I have a 2 TB NAS that makes this a non issue. All pics , movies ,etc are stored on there and accessible via apps. But as I said before it's what works for the user, buy what suits your needs. With that being said, looking at device sales, lack of expandable storage is not a deal breaker for iOS users

5. 2112

Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure we're all tempted at times, but I know I'd most likely return to Apple.
    Why? IOS seems to me to be much simpler to learn and use, simpler is better.
    Many of the things people don't like about IOS appeal to me, like all things from Apple only. Once again not all will agree.
    I read a news article about the IOS device becoming useless if you replaced the home button on a iPhone with Touch ID at a non Apple repair shop.
    That extra effort for security is impressive. I'm not trying to convince anyone anything, just an opinion of an iPad user! Let us know what you decided to do.

6. islandman

islandman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yes I will. Actually I don't think its a good idea to be chopping and changing simply because you think the grass is greener elsewhere. I know I could google it Brian, but what is 2 TB NAS

7. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This thread will explain what NAS is:
    What is NAS and what can it do for you?

You're not stuck with the 16 GB. Additionally to NAS, there are various options which will help overcome the limited amount of storage. USB flash drives especially for iDevices, e.g. (Not cheap, though), or other devices which connect to the iPad via Wi-Fi and allow transferring files or photos from your device, to store them somewhere else.

And don't forget there are many cloud solutions to store your files and photos online, and many of them start with free storage, which can be upgraded.

8. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    At the end of the day, whatever device you decide to use comes down to personal reasons. I use Apple almost exclusively for the following reason: interoperability. When I'm away from my Mac, my iPhone is my interface to it. When I pick up my iPad, everything that I was doing on my phone or Mac is instantly available, even though my iPad (2) has become nothing more than a remote control for my home theatre.

I use Mac, iPad, iPhone (x2), AppleTV, Airport Extreme (x2), Airport Express and I still find room for other devices. I simply cannot see life without a Windows PC, because there are programs I use that simply do not exist for Mac. Yes, I know I can run Windows on a Mac, but the PC is way more cost effective.

I used a Samsung phone for a while, and hated it, simply because I didn't understand the OS and couldn't be bothered to learn it. For anyone who is already comfortable with it, or has a longer attention span than I do, I'm sure Android devices are just fine, or even superior to Apple in certain respects.

I just don't see anything like the intimate relationship between iOS and OS X available anywhere else.

If your personal circumstances lead you to choose a device other than an iPad, then so be it. These devices are above all about convenience, and if Apple can't give you that, IMO it's time to move on, with no regrets.

9. islandman

islandman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    appreciate your replies, will keep you posted,

10. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    In my observations, non-Apple users are very nasty/negative towards Apple users, like they want us to justify our "wrong" choice. It's ridiculous.