What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad compared to Galaxy Tab - My Thoughrs

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once again, I really don't get your point. This is simply a list of apps that I use on each tablet. It's not intended to have "impact".

The subject of this thread makes it clear, these are just comments, I am not trying to convert anyone from iOS to Android.

One app that I left off the Galaxy list was obviously Mail. And Tapatalk on both devices.

When you get down it I mainly use both for email and web browsing.

An additional use for the Galaxy is car navigation, firstly because it has a GPS reciever and secondly because the larger tablets (iOS or Android) are too big to use in a car, 7.7" is just about the perfect size.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk 2

Sure you get my point. I was objecting to your comment that 99% of the apps on both platforms are rubbish. You cannot back that up....you can claim it is your opinion, but I don't think it is a considered opinion at all. But we can move on...

The GPS on the iPad does only come with the 3G/4G option which I learned about after I bought my Wifi-only iPad 2 in 2011. My Acer Iconia A500 came with the GPS chip, though it does not work very well. I got a Dual XGPS150 BT GPS receiver that works great with both of them. I enjoy using my tablets for in-car Nav mainly because they offer a much larger screen which makes them much safer to use than any phone.

IMG_0461.jpg

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's an awesome set up. I read today on Zite Cadillac may try to integrate the iPad into its nav and audio systems.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still prefer my standalone GPS units (I have two cars, so one in each car). They take a beating, so I can toss them into my glove box, and I can snap them into their bases with one hand and manipulate as needed.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I still prefer my standalone GPS units (I have two cars, so one in each car). They take a beating, so I can toss them into my glove box, and I can snap them into their bases with one hand and manipulate as needed.

I understand. I have a garmin. I keep it in my car as a back up. On trips of length, I much prefer the iPad as I can play music or audiobooks and pipe all the sound through my car stereo system. So directions and audio (music and books) come through the sound system. Works really well. Oh, podcasts too.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand. I have a garmin. I keep it in my car as a back up. On trips of length, I much prefer the iPad as I can play music or audiobooks and pipe all the sound through my car stereo system. So directions and audio (music and books) come through the sound system. Works really well. Oh, podcasts too.

One of my Garmins plays MP3s, which I like for audiobooks, because it pauses the book every time it gives directions. But I also use my iPod, iPhone or (now) Samsung Galaxy Note for audiobooks and music through my car sound systems. My commute is only about 15 mins, though, so sometimes I don't bother; just flick on the radio.

Anna84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really enjoy the apps on my iPhone and love that there are so many to choose from! So for me the App store is a deal breaker in buying an iPad.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
One of my Garmins plays MP3s, which I like for audiobooks, because it pauses the book every time it gives directions. But I also use my iPod, iPhone or (now) Samsung Galaxy Note for audiobooks and music through my car sound systems. My commute is only about 15 mins, though, so sometimes I don't bother; just flick on the radio.

Must be complicated to use all those devices for audiobooks. I try to just one one device for mine...and I never liked sing the garmin for that as the sound from my audio system is so much better. Phone does book, music, photos....iPad does nav on long trips.

Walt Cullop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think those types of batteries need to go through a drain cycle. They goes all the way back to nickel cadium which aren't used anymore that I know of.

You can to into settings/cellular data and turn off the LTE and it will only do the 3G. For me I haven't found 4G a problem. I charge it up at night and it is fine all day,

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Must be complicated to use all those devices for audiobooks. I try to just one one device for mine...and I never liked sing the garmin for that as the sound from my audio system is so much better. Phone does book, music, photos....iPad does nav on long trips.

Surprisingly easy with Audible. They make it painless to load books onto a slew of devices (smart way to do business). Garmin sound quality is fine for books, I've found. It allows SD cards, too.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackberry is exactly in that situation, where you have a choice of a few thousand most common apps. The os runs smooth, it's a great device but I don't see too many android users singing its praises. As a blackberry user before I heard all the time that there were no apps for it - even though I had many more functional apps than I have on either my android or iPad tablet.

There are pluses and minuses to all the devices.

Read this about Blackberry; apparently RIM has bigger probs:

Consumers Less Happy With BlackBerrys - NYTimes.com

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Sounds like people unhappy with their Blackberries. RIM has had major outage probs, for instance:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/12/us-blackberry-idUSTRE79B24Y20111012

Mob mentality sounds like a wild guess. Is that why you switched?

Actually Kay, it is exactly why I switched. I had no need to but my wife got her iPhone, and a lot of the executives in my company went to one. So to maintain compatibility I went with it. Losing a lot of business functionality which we are still looking for solutions for. However we can read the writing on the wall and it's not a happy ending for RIM. There are benefits (mostly on the personal side) that I do enjoy on the iPhone, and with device integration, the investment in apps and being in the 'in' group it would be difficult now to move away from it.

I am pretty sure in a couple of years the same story will play out with android when it becomes a little more business ready. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually Kay, it is exactly why I switched. I had no need to but my wife got her iPhone, and a lot of the executives in my company went to one. So to maintain compatibility I went with it. Losing a lot of business functionality which we are still looking for solutions for. However we can read the writing on the wall and it's not a happy ending for RIM. There are benefits (mostly on the personal side) that I do enjoy on the iPhone, and with device integration, the investment in apps and being in the 'in' group it would be difficult now to move away from it.

I am pretty sure in a couple of years the same story will play out with android when it becomes a little more business ready. :)

Seems like a bad idea to give up functionality. My company issues many devices, including Blackberries, but functionality isn't a prob.

Most reactions

Latest posts