What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Samsung Galaxy an worthy opponent of the ipad?

v1tje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the tab of samsung gonna be an opponent of the ipad? What do you guys think?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOL_WWKXfbw]YouTube - Samsung Galaxy Tab Teaser[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqeLLR1Rh4M]YouTube - Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 Korean Footage[/ame]

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its not out yet. Of course it will be an "opponent" of the iPad, whatever that means. Apple people will dismiss it and all others because they don't have the app store that Apple devices have, so what is the point of even asking? This device will do a lot of things that the iPad just cannot do, like flash, cameras, etc, etc. Spec wise, its better than the iPad, and if the Galaxy S phones are any indication, it will be smooth and awesome. Again, i don't think any of this matters to 99% of the people who buy Apple products. If the Apple logo isn't on it, its garbage.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh it has the patented slow and choppy web page scrolling, complete with delay! And that calendar looks familiar. Man that screen is way too small....this new 7" thing is going to fail....why does everyone think 7" is the perfect size??

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, the 7" size doesn't interest me. It's ok, but if I cant get it in my pocket, it might as well be 11-12". The rest has potential. I would still prefer a full-os tablet. We'll see when its actually for sale...

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Btw if I remember right, the processor in the galaxy is similar to the ipads, but capable of having up to 4 or 8 cores (don't remember the exact details). It could be very snappy...

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A crocodile is very snappy, but I won't be trading in my iPad for one;)

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the iPad and am still trying to see how valid it will be as a usable device. But I thought I would weigh in on this since I feel I have some valid user experience involving size.

I have been searching for the ultimate business device that I can use for taking notes at meetings etc. This goes back to using Palms with folding keyboards etc. Most recently, I went through the PC's industry attempt at tablet PC going thru a couple of attempts ending with the Samsung Q1. Then there were the net books and another purchase with the ASUS Eee. Both are sitting in the bottom drawer of my desk so you can see they didn't meet my needs.

My comments here are going to be restricted to size. I don't believe you are going to find the 7" screen to be acceptable for device of this type. As you can tell I wanted to get something small but I found the above to be too limited especially in doing the basic things that I wanted to have. Web searching on a small screen just doesn't do it. Granted my opinion is based on using devices with Windows XP but I still don't think the better manipulation is going to improve what is basically a visual limitation. I love seeing the full Yahoo page on the screen then pinching to view the specific items I'm interested in. There is no way to be able to do that on the 7" screen. So you will have just a slightly better view of the page than your iPhone. Since I have an iPhone and get by in a pinch, I'm not going to accept anything less that what is the current iPad. I believe Apple got it right on the size. They really need to increase business usability to secure it's place as a stand alone device.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There will be a bunch of Android competitors, most of them will fail. I am looking for the HP WebOS based tablet to be the first real competitor.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well if it's like my samsung galaxy phone (vibrant) which It seems to be...Hell yeah it will..It has way more options,settings,multitasking...I like the live wallpapers and rooting to customize the crap out of it...I like my iPad but if I had a 10 inch version of my phone I would be all set! And if it has super amoled screen ohhhh my! conflicting input on that though I read both...While the LCD on my iPad is nice the super amoled on my phone is like a plasma with deep rich blacks and popping colors.

Except pokerist.com is only on iPad/iPhone so I would need both right now.

Last edited:

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
My understanding is that the tablet will not have an amoled screen. And to me, the 7" is really an odd, in between size. The Android tablets will improve, but they need to get their apps better at the same time. The hardware is only as good as the software.

And no, I'm not Apple partial. I have a Droid Incredible for my phone and love that. Really is a great piece of equipment, especially rooted, but the apps just don't stack up to what is available to Apple yet.

That being said, I hope it keeps getting better. Competition is what we need to keep everyone honest.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My understanding is that the tablet will not have an amoled screen. And to me, the 7" is really an odd, in between size. The Android tablets will improve, but they need to get their apps better at the same time. The hardware is only as good as the software.

And no, I'm not Apple partial. I have a Droid Incredible for my phone and love that. Really is a great piece of equipment, especially rooted, but the apps just don't stack up to what is available to Apple yet.

That being said, I hope it keeps getting better. Competition is what we need to keep everyone honest.

I heard about the app store alot and when I got my ipad that was the 1st thing I did was log in to check it out and honestly don't see what is so great...I'm able to get more usefull apps off the android market...please point out the apps to get aside from the news apps ...I can't find any system tools or anything.

Don't get me wrong I like my ipad and find things I like about both...I don't plan on getting rid of my ipad..it's sexy and built solid.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I heard about the app store alot and when I got my ipad that was the 1st thing I did was log in to check it out and honestly don't see what is so great...I'm able to get more usefull apps off the android market...please point out the apps to get aside from the news apps ...I can't find any system tools or anything.

Don't get me wrong I like my ipad and find things I like about both...I don't plan on getting rid of my ipad..it's sexy and built solid.

The presence of system tools would mean that Apple would be allowing you to alter something that they did, and no one alters perfection. Yea, the App store is a pretty cool place, but really once I got everything installed on my iPad, I realized that a good 90% of the apps I NEVER open, and that pretty much every app I do use is easily found on the Android Marketplace.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

So you guys don't think i'm fan boy and xame to start crap...

DSC01327.jpg

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's going to be be the only worthy advocate! Also it does notnhave tha AMOLED screen it uses TFT screen. iPad is very portable but 7in is MUCH more portable. This device ships with 2.2 and let's you thither dipping on the carrier it's on? The only downside I can see is that it wont be available off contract and no "wifi only" model. Witch i would gobble up!

iOS devices do have all the great apps the app store is hard to beat espicallt since the iPad side of the market has matured greatly after launch. But the user experience outside of apps are much much better experience on android than on my iphone or iPad. That's android thing and the apps will get there eventually developers will move to everymarket android win phone 7 web os. Some will taker longer but android is def number 2. On my nexus one I spent. A tottal of 3 dollars on apps. On my iPhone 4 and iPad over a hundred already! There are better free apps on android is my point!

Most reactions

Latest posts