Is the Samsung Galaxy an worthy opponent of the ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by v1tje, Aug 29, 2010.

1. v1tje

v1tje iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is the tab of samsung gonna be an opponent of the ipad? What do you guys think?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOL_WWKXfbw]YouTube - Samsung Galaxy Tab Teaser[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqeLLR1Rh4M]YouTube - Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 Korean Footage[/ame]
  2. muyoso

muyoso iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Its not out yet. Of course it will be an "opponent" of the iPad, whatever that means. Apple people will dismiss it and all others because they don't have the app store that Apple devices have, so what is the point of even asking? This device will do a lot of things that the iPad just cannot do, like flash, cameras, etc, etc. Spec wise, its better than the iPad, and if the Galaxy S phones are any indication, it will be smooth and awesome. Again, i don't think any of this matters to 99% of the people who buy Apple products. If the Apple logo isn't on it, its garbage.
  3. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Oh it has the patented slow and choppy web page scrolling, complete with delay! And that calendar looks familiar. Man that screen is way too small....this new 7" thing is going to fail....why does everyone think 7" is the perfect size??
  4. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Yeah, the 7" size doesn't interest me. It's ok, but if I cant get it in my pocket, it might as well be 11-12". The rest has potential. I would still prefer a full-os tablet. We'll see when its actually for sale...
  5. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Btw if I remember right, the processor in the galaxy is similar to the ipads, but capable of having up to 4 or 8 cores (don't remember the exact details). It could be very snappy...
  6. King Hal

King Hal iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    A crocodile is very snappy, but I won't be trading in my iPad for one;)
  7. Alanfujii

Alanfujii iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got the iPad and am still trying to see how valid it will be as a usable device. But I thought I would weigh in on this since I feel I have some valid user experience involving size.

I have been searching for the ultimate business device that I can use for taking notes at meetings etc. This goes back to using Palms with folding keyboards etc. Most recently, I went through the PC's industry attempt at tablet PC going thru a couple of attempts ending with the Samsung Q1. Then there were the net books and another purchase with the ASUS Eee. Both are sitting in the bottom drawer of my desk so you can see they didn't meet my needs.

My comments here are going to be restricted to size. I don't believe you are going to find the 7" screen to be acceptable for device of this type. As you can tell I wanted to get something small but I found the above to be too limited especially in doing the basic things that I wanted to have. Web searching on a small screen just doesn't do it. Granted my opinion is based on using devices with Windows XP but I still don't think the better manipulation is going to improve what is basically a visual limitation. I love seeing the full Yahoo page on the screen then pinching to view the specific items I'm interested in. There is no way to be able to do that on the 7" screen. So you will have just a slightly better view of the page than your iPhone. Since I have an iPhone and get by in a pinch, I'm not going to accept anything less that what is the current iPad. I believe Apple got it right on the size. They really need to increase business usability to secure it's place as a stand alone device.
  8. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    There will be a bunch of Android competitors, most of them will fail. I am looking for the HP WebOS based tablet to be the first real competitor.
  9. STi

STi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well if it's like my samsung galaxy phone (vibrant) which It seems to be...Hell yeah it will..It has way more options,settings,multitasking...I like the live wallpapers and rooting to customize the crap out of it...I like my iPad but if I had a 10 inch version of my phone I would be all set! And if it has super amoled screen ohhhh my! conflicting input on that though I read both...While the LCD on my iPad is nice the super amoled on my phone is like a plasma with deep rich blacks and popping colors.

Except pokerist.com is only on iPad/iPhone so I would need both right now.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  10. jkhonea

jkhonea iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My understanding is that the tablet will not have an amoled screen. And to me, the 7" is really an odd, in between size. The Android tablets will improve, but they need to get their apps better at the same time. The hardware is only as good as the software.

And no, I'm not Apple partial. I have a Droid Incredible for my phone and love that. Really is a great piece of equipment, especially rooted, but the apps just don't stack up to what is available to Apple yet.

That being said, I hope it keeps getting better. Competition is what we need to keep everyone honest.
  11. STi

STi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I heard about the app store alot and when I got my ipad that was the 1st thing I did was log in to check it out and honestly don't see what is so great...I'm able to get more usefull apps off the android market...please point out the apps to get aside from the news apps ...I can't find any system tools or anything.

Don't get me wrong I like my ipad and find things I like about both...I don't plan on getting rid of my ipad..it's sexy and built solid.
  12. muyoso

muyoso iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The presence of system tools would mean that Apple would be allowing you to alter something that they did, and no one alters perfection. Yea, the App store is a pretty cool place, but really once I got everything installed on my iPad, I realized that a good 90% of the apps I NEVER open, and that pretty much every app I do use is easily found on the Android Marketplace.
  13. STi

STi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I heard about the app store alot and when I got my ipad that was the 1st thing I did was log in to check it out and honestly don't see what is so great...I'm able to get more usefull apps off the android market...please point out the apps to get aside from the news apps ...I can't find any system tools or anything.

Don't get me wrong I like my ipad and find things I like about both...I don't plan on getting rid of my ipad..it's sexy and built solid.

So you guys don't think i'm fan boy and xame to start crap...

[​IMG]
  14. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Do you need the gun to tell people not to touch the iPad?:p
  15. Itzxdjx

Itzxdjx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's going to be be the only worthy advocate! Also it does notnhave tha AMOLED screen it uses TFT screen. iPad is very portable but 7in is MUCH more portable. This device ships with 2.2 and let's you thither dipping on the carrier it's on? The only downside I can see is that it wont be available off contract and no "wifi only" model. Witch i would gobble up!

iOS devices do have all the great apps the app store is hard to beat espicallt since the iPad side of the market has matured greatly after launch. But the user experience outside of apps are much much better experience on android than on my iphone or iPad. That's android thing and the apps will get there eventually developers will move to everymarket android win phone 7 web os. Some will taker longer but android is def number 2. On my nexus one I spent. A tottal of 3 dollars on apps. On my iPhone 4 and iPad over a hundred already! There are better free apps on android is my point!
  16. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I agree about the app store vs Android. There are some great apps out for iOS, but there is a LOT of junk. Android has a lot of great apps too with fewer barriers getting them to market and fewer restrictions placed on what they can do.
  17. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    For system tools you have to jailbreak and go to cydia. iPad is made to avoid user interaction with the core file system.

You will find everything else you could ever need tho in the app store.
  18. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Are you serious. Android apps are aweful!! Most of them don't work or break within an update. And there are a handful of useful apps and the rest are spam and scams.
  19. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Well, I don't personally have a lot of experience with Android, so you may be right, but several guys I work with love it. They seem to have a lot of great apps running on their phones - very similar to the apps available for iOS - and they dont complain about them breaking.

At the same time, I have had apps break after an update on the iPad and seen many such comments in the app store of problems introduced with updates. There's a lot of buggy junk in the App store. In both OSes, the user community is where you sort out what works well for people vs what is buggy and useless.
  20. Alanfujii

Alanfujii iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's another issue that I'm confident I have the background to weigh on. I'm not familiar with Android but I am familiar with "open" and "closed" systems. There is a argument for both sides. Apple has always been a closed system where they have more control over the content that goes on their devices. That has been part of their success and part of their problem. The benefits of a closed system is that things that are approved work better together. This is the path Apple chose long ago and to some extent has contributed to their longevity. The opposing view to that is the open system where there are more contributions from various outside companies that usually push the growth of the system. In this environment a person having a unique special need would have more chance of finding a solution. The downside is there will probably be programs/hardware that will clash.

Prior to the iPhone/iPad I have gone through numerous Windows/Palm phones. I love gadgets so whenever I got a new phone I would go online and buy tons of programs. Now I will admit I probably never used more to 20% of them frequently enough to justify their purchase but it's fun. Where it wasn't fun was when one program would cause the phone to crash. I can't tell you the amount of times I re-format the phone and loaded one program at a time to make sure everything was fine. This is where I love the iPhone/Ipad. I've had zero problems with crashing and I've bought a ton of apps.