What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four devices stop giving email alerts, all at once.

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strange I know.
In the house there are 2 iPads and 2 iPhones, all late models, 2014.
All use AOL email.
Neither will give email alerts.
Any ideas.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just guessing what could have happened.
Did you update your devices before this happened? If so (and you can take a look at this in any other case as well), go to Settings - General - Use Side Switch to (iPad) and select the opposite of what's set up. Then turn it to your prefered setting again. There should be something similar on the iPhone, but I can't tell you where exactly. Then take a look at your side switch - perhaps it's muted. If you selected "Lock rotation" for your side switch, then open the Control Center and take a look there.

If this doesn't solve the issue, go to Settings - Sounds - Ringer and Alerts. Is "Change with Buttons" enabled, is the slider leftmost? Again, this will work for the iPad, I can't tell you where you'll find it on an iPhone.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just guessing what could have happened.
Did you update your devices before this happened? If so (and you can take a look at this in any other case as well), go to Settings - General - Use Side Switch to (iPad) and select the opposite of what's set up. Then turn it to your prefered setting again. There should be something similar on the iPhone, but I can't tell you where exactly. Then take a look at your side switch - perhaps it's muted. If you selected "Lock rotation" for your side switch, then open the Control Center and take a look there.

If this doesn't solve the issue, go to Settings - Sounds - Ringer and Alerts. Is "Change with Buttons" enabled, is the slider leftmost? Again, this will work for the iPad, I can't tell you where you'll find it on an iPhone.

Thanks, but no luck.
I have to open my inboxes for the alert to sound.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not done so, check your Fetch New Data settings under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Also check all your Mail account settings under Settings > Notifications.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried switching the iPhones' wifi off?

If this is a new issue, I don't believe 4 iDevices have gone wrong at the exact same time.

If you check the issue out with 2 devices on cellular and 2 on wifi you can see whether the problem is with your router, or with AOL. If all 4 still fail to operate properly the fault is likely with AOL. If the devices on cellular function properly, the fault is with your network, and may require nothing more than a router reboot.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can also try deleting and re-adding the accounts on each device. A kind of cure all for most email problems.

Worst case, go to Settings > General > Reset and Reset All Settings.

This will not erase any data, apps, or accounts; but you will have to re-tweak most other settings back to how you like them.

OP
D

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have not done so, check your Fetch New Data settings under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Also check all your Mail account settings under Settings > Notifications.

Thanks, all set to 'Push'

Funny thing, Gmail has sterted to sound alerts, but not AOL.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, all set to 'Push'

Funny thing, Gmail has sterted to sound alerts, but not AOL.

Sounds like an AOL problem then. Deleting and re-adding the accounts may or may not help. If AOL has changed something this should give you whatever new servers settings are needed. Though I think it unlikely they could kill notifications and not email in general with a server change.

Strange that your Gmail is set to Push. This should not be possible unless you've managing to hang onto the legacy Exchange setup, or have a business Gmail account.

OP
D

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried switching the iPhones' wifi off?

If this is a new issue, I don't believe 4 iDevices have gone wrong at the exact same time.

If you check the issue out with 2 devices on cellular and 2 on wifi you can see whether the problem is with your router, or with AOL. If all 4 still fail to operate properly the fault is likely with AOL. If the devices on cellular function properly, the fault is with your network, and may require nothing more than a router reboot.

All 4 devices went wrong at the same time. The two iPads are wifi only not cellular.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Understood. That's why I say leave them on your network and put the phones on cellular, so you have a control.

OP
D

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Understood. That's why I say leave them on your network and put the phones on cellular, so you have a control.

They have always been set up phones-cellular & wifi, iPads-wifi.
Alerts do not work when phones out of wifi reach.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My suspicion is that AOL have changed something at their end. 4 devices do not go wrong, simultaneously. And if the problem doesn't go away when you join a different network, the fault is not likely to be with your network either.

Most reactions