What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notification Center showing email alerts when email not even running

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the idea of using Notification Center to give me a small alert when I get an email but am using another app. But I am getting alerts (appear as a momentary bar at the top of the screen) for new emails even when email isn't running. This confuses me as I wouldn't think the email client is checking for mail or knowing any exists on the server unless it is running.

Can I turn this off or otherwise configure it differently?

PS YES, email is not running. I know how to close apps and am sure it is not running.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch

Unless you've set Fetch to manual, your iPad will check for email at timed intervals. It doesn't matter whether the email app is closed.

OP
W

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch

Unless you've set Fetch to manual, your iPad will check for email at timed intervals. It doesn't matter whether the email app is closed.

Is it downloading the email when it does this? If so, why does it seem like it is only downloading when I open the app? I can see it taking a few moments to pull down email when I start the app.

Most reactions

Latest posts