What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the people who gripe there is no retina display on the iPad

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't thank you enough form posting this. One of the best links to come around so far. You are da man! Lol. Gosh, I've been telling people this up here on the forum for the longest time but nahhhhh they so fixated on retina display numbers vs. Ipad numbers and not accounting the fact of real world tests/views. Damn, u shoulda seen my face when I saw this thread. I was Finallllllly, the truth is told. Regardless of resolution difference, ipad1 and ipad2 display are basically identical to iphone4 retina display, in terms of quality and clarity. Sheeesh, now mayb people stop whining about it now...lmao
Once again, thanks for this great link. I will periodically bump it up so people get the message ;-)

SouthernGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also if you take into account that with the iPhone your always zooming in on stuff to see it bigger/better and that's where the retina display is nice. With the iPad 2 who needs to zoom....I think the display is just fine.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also if you take into account that with the iPhone your always zooming in on stuff to see it bigger/better and that's where the retina display is nice. With the iPad 2 who needs to zoom....I think the display is just fine.

Yupppp..lol

Reaction score
The zoom on the Ipad is where it leaves the iPhone in the dust because it keeps the clarity just makes it even bigger . It's one of the wow factors of mine when people see it

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well heck, some people can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p especially when viewing at a normal tv watching distance.

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep, to all of the above. I've always thought the display on the iPad has been pretty darn nice as it is. I thought, before ordering my iPad 2, "Well, if the display is at LEAST the same as what I have now, I'll be happy so long as we have some other improvements, like memory, processing, GPU handling, etc." Win for me. I think the whole bit about not having retina display is an overblown sense of desire for more SPECS. And specs aren't everything.

I'm happy to be of help. :)

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
resolution vs display quality

Maybe this will prove to you that, once and for all, a retina display on the iPad isn't really necessary:

Study: iPad 2 Screen Is as Good as iPhone’s, Despite Lower Specs | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Michael

I sense so much confusion about wanting Retina because of pixel density (some call it resolution)... most relate this to more is better, right?

I checked the above reference, and indeed at a glance more pixel gives more detail ... more true for still versus video.

However, when is good enough, really good enough ... with advance graphical processes, texturing, shaders, etc if you can't see the pixels the picture is really, really good in appearance. Watch what happens when the gamer apps start to show up.

Bottom line ... iPAD display is really good ... the higher performance processor and graphic unit in iPAD2 is like turbo boost ... Texturing and filtering makes for extra clarity in detail. The new engine in iPAD2 is breakthrough performance... all at the same price and battery performance ... the graphical processor unit is the best on any tablet by any manufacturer ... it caught the competition by surprise wow :)

I hope I made my point ... the display maybe the same but the engine that drives it is a whole lot better .... Retina it is only more costly, has only been developed for small displays (poor volume availability) ... and drops the performance. It just won't happen, because it isn't necessary. IMO

Last edited:

lawhawk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FWIW I love love love my iPad 2 but I have to say I think the screen is not high enough resolution. I am excited for the next one. The retina display is one of those things that you just have to get above a certain spec and never worry about upgrading it again... whereas with processor, memory, etc. I will want more, more more with every new model.

kam187

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont think it needs the retina display either. It would just make it more expensive.

I'm more upset they didnt bump the resolution :/

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1024x768 is fine for a ten inch screen.
We used to have that on 14inch monitors, a few decades ago

Vulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPAD has 28% more pixels than the iPhone ... even then its battery lasts 96% as much as the iPhone (as stated in the benchmark: "
Display always On at the middle slider setting with Airplane Mode and no running applications.")

Yes, I know it has a bigger battery and all ... but still thats impressive.

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
lawhawk said:
FWIW I love love love my iPad 2 but I have to say I think the screen is not high enough resolution. I am excited for the next one. The retina display is one of those things that you just have to get above a certain spec and never worry about upgrading it again... whereas with processor, memory, etc. I will want more, more more with every new model.

Apparently, you didn't read the article I linked at the beginning of this thread, which debunks the whole "retina on the iPad is better" junk. I suggest you give it a read.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts