What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the people who gripe there is no retina display on the iPad

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With Retina display its the same like the multitasking thing, no one really got a use of it but alot of those people just wqnna have it, like an empty Safe in ur cellar.

I never understood why people were yelling for multitasking since u can run only one app at once (optical) and the iOS always saed the last changes in every app u got. Now with multitasking i always have to manual close open apps, thats the only improvement it made for me. But still people are dumb, yelling for something but do t know which kind of use they have with it.

And i do t believe that a retina display makes a THAT difference, but sucks more power.

People are dumb and rarely get smarted on their own.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apart from the occasional video and still image the Internet is made up of low to medium resolution content for speed of downloading anyway. Zoom in on a picture on the web which is not high resolution, and what happens? Retina display or not you get pixelation, the iPad doesn't need it, perhaps when we've all got 50Mb/100Mb broadband connections in the future a higher resolution will be necessary as higher resolution content becomes widely used on the Internet, but at the moment the common denominator for internet use is low to medium resolution.

I think SouthernGuy is right, Retina works on a small screen size because of all the zooming, I don't have a retina display so I can't make a definitive judgement on the need for it on the iPad but I myself don't believe it needs it, I believe the iPad 2 would have benefited a lot more by introducing a wide screen format to suit the trend for movie viewing on mobile devices, or am I opening a whole other can of worms?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The retina display is one of those things that you just have to get above a certain spec and never worry about upgrading it again... whereas with processor, memory, etc.

What you said, except delete everything from "The retina display..." to "...certain spec and."

lawhawk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lawhawk said:
FWIW I love love love my iPad 2 but I have to say I think the screen is not high enough resolution. I am excited for the next one. The retina display is one of those things that you just have to get above a certain spec and never worry about upgrading it again... whereas with processor, memory, etc. I will want more, more more with every new model.

Apparently, you didn't read the article I linked at the beginning of this thread, which debunks the whole "retina on the iPad is better" junk. I suggest you give it a read.

I promise, I read it. And the article it linked to. I am only speaking from my own perception. I have never owned an iPhone so I cannot speak to what the Retina display would do. What I said is "I think the screen is not high enough resolution." I stand by that. Text looks better on my November 2009 Motorola Droid than it does on the iPad. This is a very minor complaint and I love the screen's brightness, etc. I just think the text could be a little sharper. Seriously, all they have to do is get above a certain spec (maybe 250 ppi? 300?) and I will never complain about the resolution again. I love the iPad and I feel dumb nit-picking. But I agree that the thing needs a higher-res screen.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think these are all way older people wanting the higher resolution where their vision is not as good..lol j/k. iPad text looks sharp enough to me and when u zoom it up, it large and even clearer. Or maybe it's cuz I have excellent vision ;-)

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apart from the occasional video and still image the Internet is made up of low to medium resolution content for speed of downloading anyway. Zoom in on a picture on the web which is not high resolution, and what happens? Retina display or not you get pixelation, the iPad doesn't need it, perhaps when we've all got 50Mb/100Mb broadband connections in the future a higher resolution will be necessary as higher resolution content becomes widely used on the Internet, but at the moment the common denominator for internet use is low to medium resolution.

I think SouthernGuy is right, Retina works on a small screen size because of all the zooming, I don't have a retina display so I can't make a definitive judgement on the need for it on the iPad but I myself don't believe it needs it, I believe the iPad 2 would have benefited a lot more by introducing a wide screen format to suit the trend for movie viewing on mobile devices, or am I opening a whole other can of worms?

16:10 display ration is the same as the new TV's for the last few years. That means that the letterbox bands don't need to be there.

The Xoom has that ratio and if they had mirroring (don't know about that) but the new iPAD2 does. Then everyone would like that.

iPAD and iPAD2 are multi-purpose devices and so Apple chose the 4x3 format (of older TV specs) ... I doubt just to be different ... It is acceptable TV, but works better for reading books, etc. I couldn't begin to share all the trade-offs, but I am sure Apple did.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
I think these are all way older people wanting the higher resolution where their vision is not as good..lol j/k. iPad text looks sharp enough to me and when u zoom it up, it large and even clearer. Or maybe it's cuz I have excellent vision ;-)

I'm blind in my right eye have a blind spot in the left and registered partially sighted, need glasses to read anything at all! No kidding, if the iPad display is fine for me then I can't literally SEE, pun intended, what some normal sighted people are getting hot under the collar about, other than perhaps the cudos factor of a superior display.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:

I'm blind in my right eye have a blind spot in the left and registered partially sighted, need glasses to read anything at all! No kidding, if the iPad display is fine for me then I can't literally SEE, pun intended, what some normal sighted people are getting hot under the collar about, other than perhaps the cudos factor of a superior display.

Good point, glad to hear the iPad is working out well for you ;-)
I was only kidding around in that post, not meant to offend anyone.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not griping about it, I just WANT it.

I fell in love immediately with the iPhone 4 retina display.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Good point, glad to hear the iPad is working out well for you ;-)
I was only kidding around in that post, not meant to offend anyone.

No offence taken Demandarin, I realised it was meant humorously.

Most reactions

Latest posts