What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few questions about iPads

rukass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey. So I got my iPad2 (if this should be in that section of the forums, sorry. It just seemed to me it would fit here) yesterday as a birthday gift and it's my first time with an iPad, so here are a few questions:
1. I've heard that the screen is pretty much unscratchable. Is that true?
2. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, I oversweat from my hands (including fingers). Should I consider this an issue?
3. I may seem a bit ignorant here, but what exactly is an iPad/what's an iPod for? Is it like a portable mini-PC and mini-library?

Thanks on advance :)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The glass is very difficult to scratch. I have had an Ipad One since early May 2010 and it still has no scratches and I'll use the Ipad three similarly. I wouldn't consider sweating an issue but I'd keep a micro cloth nearby to clean screen.

What is an ipad (an ipod is more like the Iphone but without phone, used for a lot--I have one, but often for music as priority)?? It can be many things. I have found solutions for almost all things i do with laptop and main PC except for photo processing in Photoshop and Lightroom and big unwieldy spreadsheets. To be used at a high level you do have to search for the right apps to do what you want done, sometimes combine uses of more than two apps, but its amazing what can be done. I'd read through some of the uses people put their Ipads to on this forum.

You might also think what you use your laptop or even PC for and see what's available to do the same in your Ipad. Of course its great to read on, watch movies/podcasts/Youtunes, etc, play games. Its yours to use as you wish, really.

Hope this helps. As you use it and think you might like to use it for a new purpose, look for solutions here.

Last edited:

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
rukass said:
Hey. So I got my iPad2 (if this should be in that section of the forums, sorry. It just seemed to me it would fit here) yesterday as a birthday gift and it's my first time with an iPad, so here are a few questions:
2. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, I oversweat from my hands (including fingers). Should I consider this an issue?
3. I may seem a bit ignorant here, but what exactly is an iPad/what's an iPod for? Is it like a portable mini-PC and mini-library?

1. Everything has it's limits, however, the glass is pretty tough. The screen is made by 3M and is called Gorilla Glass. It's very tough. With normal use, you should be fine.

2. I've had my iPad for about a year, and I've found that the best thing to clean your screen with is a liquid that is ALCOHOL FREE. I won't mention particular brand names here. But your best bet is to look on YouTube. YouTube is filled with people doing great reviews on just about anything you could want to buy for the iPad...including screen cleaners.

3. You're NOT ignorant. You're learning. There are no bad questions. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
rukass said:

One thing I forgot to say. If sweating from your hands and fingers is an issue for you, you might want to consider getting a stylus. I use one from time to time and they work great! You can pick up a decent on for about $20.

And you're right. The iPad/iPod is like a mini PC.

Hope this helps.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is a device for portable access to many of the features people use most in computers. The majority have computers for exploring the internet and for keeping up with their email. Both are easy to do with the iPad. It will also store and play your music, navigate to a destination, hold all the books you could ever read,and much, much more. I have been using an iPad for two years, and have dozens of uses for it. For example, today during lunch, I looked at the best location to get gasoline on a trip I am taking tomorrow. Two nights ago, I ordered dinner with it from a restaurant. Like any device, there is a learning curve, but it is easy to get used to, and can be addictive.

OP
R

rukass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers everyone :)About the glass, I was wondering about it because before I received it someone decided it would be better to install a screen protector. However the screen protector came with a few scratches that could indicate it was badly installed. I was worried that the scratches could be in the screen and removing it was out of question because an iPad screen protector is pretty expensive. But apparently it's needed a bit more than that to scratch it.Thanks again.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few of the things I use it for:

Internet Browsing
Viewing and editing pictures
Email
Music
Streaming video
Reading
Playing games
Travel guide
Remote Desktop Control
Weather
IMing
Spreadsheets
RSS Feeds

ETA: On the screen issue I think the screen protectors are overkill if you keep it covered when not in use. It is not a phone so it should not come in contact with keys and other sharp objects during normal use.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am on my second iPad. I have never used a screen protector, but I do try and use a cover when not in use. My first iPad had three miniscule scratches after two years, that most people would not notice.

mandapandalove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never used a ipad screen protecter for my first ipad. But after using it for a year they are some small hairline straches. So for my new ipad I just got I opted to use one. As well as a skin for the back. I think its all about preference.

p3iii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used a ZAGG screen protector on my iPad 1 since the very beginning. The screen looks like new after 18 months of use. I added the same screen protector to my new iPad as well.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to be clear I am not saying a cover is overkill or IMO even optional. I am also not anti-screen protection. A screen protector may be wise in certain environments. I just think a lot of iPad owners started with iPhones and they get screen protectors by rote more than necessity.

The family member I delivered my pristine first gen to this weekend hadn't even finished setting it up before she ordered a screen protector but then she has had a iPhone for years. I even mentioned that the glass was in perfect shape and it never had a screen protector but she said she had to have one.

praisegodalways

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I am trying to export a youtube video from TagDisk HD + into imovie. i don't know how. HELP?

Most reactions