What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little concerned, a few questions about ios 4's tracking?

NoviceIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope you don't mind me asking these questions in this forum. Technically it is about my iPad2, not the first gen one.

In any case, I'm sure most of you folks have read the oreilly report about how iphones and ipads are being routinely tracked, and their recorded locations are kept inside the iphone/ipad & on itunes backups via a database called consolidated.db

(oreilly report in question is easily google'able, sorry I can't post links as this is my first post)

My question(s):

1) Is it a valid assumption that the tracking only occurs on 3g iPads?

2) Does doing an "Erase all content and settings" reset function delete all stored databases on an ipad, including the consolidated.db?

I like my ipad and just thought this news was a bit concerning. At the moment it doesn't affect me because I plan to keep my ipad until next year when the iPad 3 comes out. But if the ipad 3 is a significant update, then I plan to resell this ipad2, and it makes me wonder what if that consolidated.db is still in the ipad2 and the subsequent owner gains access to it?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here is a recent article from CNet that answers your first question, and a few more.

Your iPhone's watching you. Should you care? (FAQ) | Apple - CNET News

As for your second question, it should. All user data is removed by the full reset. I don't see why this file would be an exception.

It should be noted that while people are right to be concerned about the potential for third parties getting the data, there is no reason to go into a panic and erase your iPad. A person would need access to the backup files on your computer or the phone itself to get this data.

In essence, it's just one more reason to keep your phone and computer secure.

OP
N

NoviceIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

I'm more concerned over resale value. If the database(s) in question are deleted by the "Settings >General > Reset >Erase All Content and Settings" then all is well. But if they aren't then I'm worried about selling my iPad2 when the iPad3 comes out. Though I don't go anywhere out of the norm, the idea that a 2nd hand owner can track where I've been seems a little creepy.

Last edited:

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All that panic of people concerned about their privacy with GPS "tracking" them - Is quite funny. Just take a look at their Facebook page . they are pure naked and expose. Not only every one in the world knows their location. they know exactly what they did over there.
They have lots of private pictures of them (also on other Facebook pages).
So what is that big deal about privacy....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As I said. It should be deleted. It's included the backup file. The backups are for user information, settings, and application data. That's all stuff that goes away when you restore the iPad. After a restore the iPad is in the same state as when you received it. Nothing should be there except the Firmware.

I'm reasonably sure of this. The only reason I'm not giving you a definite answer is because I don't have proof. And for some reason I'm not interested enough in the problem to restore my ipad just to find out. :)

OP
N

NoviceIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said. It should be deleted. It's included the backup file. The backups are for user information, settings, and application data. That's all stuff that goes away when you restore the iPad. After a restore the iPad is in the same state as when you received it. Nothing should be there except the Firmware.

I'm reasonably sure of this. The only reason I'm not giving you a definite answer is because I don't have proof. And for some reason I'm not interested enough in the problem to restore my ipad just to find out. :)

No worries, I see your point. Judging by all the blogs covering the topic, it does seem a bit blown out of proportion.

By way of reason I agree with you, the .db should be gone by a simple restore. & i'm letting go of my attachments to definite answers as nothing is certain..

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if they're collecting the information for the purpose of building their database on WiFi hotspots; I remember you surmised this possibility in an earlier post - clearly you are clairvoyant....

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I wonder if they're collecting the information for the purpose of building their database on WiFi hotspots; I remember you surmised this possibility in an earlier post - clearly you are clairvoyant....

Tim

Pretty sure I read it somewhere else before. I usually have, especially when I start out thinking I've been original. :)

I suppose it could just be a stack that is periodically uploaded to Apple's servers. From all descriptions it only contains WiFi and location data, so once off the phone it would comply with Apples promise to keep the data anonymous. Maybe they just forgot to add a bit of code to purge the data after it's been uploaded.

I don't see any advantage to keeping an apparently endless data base of locations on the phone. But that might just be my lack of imagination.

OP
N

NoviceIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if I can post links, but this seemed relevant. Apparently all the databases are for some cache that eventually helps the iphone/ipad.

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NoviceIpad said:

I'm more concerned over resale value. If the database(s) in question are deleted by the "Settings >General > Reset >Erase All Content and Settings" then all is well. But if they aren't then I'm worried about selling my iPad2 when the iPad3 comes out. Though I don't go anywhere out of the norm, the idea that a 2nd hand owner can track where I've been seems a little creepy.

The concern caused Israel to temporarily block iPads from entry for some time, Israel is a leading technological nation and one that has built a sophisticated intelligence community world wide, not only did they complain about iPads been used to track data of users but the devices also interfere with certain frequencies which are questionable to whether they also can be used for military operations to communicate vie those channels from the ground , sort of like how everyone uses the tv network channels to communicate to underground bases, have been since tv anyway.

Sent from my iPad2 64GB wifi 3G using iPF

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NoviceIpad said:

The concern caused Israel to temporarily block iPads from entry for some time, Israel is a leading technological nation and one that has built a sophisticated intelligence community world wide, not only did they complain about iPads been used to track data of users but the devices also interfere with certain frequencies which are questionable to whether they also can be used for military operations to communicate vie those channels from the ground , sort of like how everyone uses the tv network channels to communicate to underground bases, have been since tv anyway.

???
I am from Israel, and most certainly the above subject was not a concern, since it can just tell you that you where near a certain Cellular location a some time ( or more correctly, when was the 1st visit near by).
Regarding the Military concern, It was some old none-usable close frequencies that was "own" by the military and never used, that they tried to keep.
The Communication office at the early days of the iPhone tried to put it on hold. Never with the iPAD.
We are normally late at getting those machines because of the right to left language we still have ( Do you know why Hebrew is right to left ???)

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hebrew is a we Semitic language, Chinese and many more are from right to left, like the sun that rises in the east and sets in the west.

Most reactions

Latest posts