What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Fourth-Gen iPad Benchmark Results are Impressive

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
fourth_gen_iPad_geek_bench.JPG

AppleInsider reports that the first benchmarks are in for the fourth-gen iPad mini, even though it has not been released yet, and they make impressive reading. The scores were posted by Primate Labs’ Geekbench, and they show that the fourth-gen iPad’s A6X processor more than doubles the overall score of the third-gen iPad, which was released earlier this year. So how did they manage to ascertain the scores? Well, they saw a device identified only as “iPad3,4†logging a benchmark test on Sunday, using an A6X chip clocked to 1.39GHz and with 1GB of memory. AppleInsider says that the A6X also seems to have quad-core graphics, unlike the triple-core graphics of the iPhone 5. The fourth-gen iPad came away with a Geekbench score of 1757, which was 10% better than that of the iPhone 5, and double the scores attained by the third-gen iPad and the iPad 2.

Source: Reported fourth-gen iPad benchmarks show faster processor, quad-core GPU

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dang.....now I'm start to feel the pain. :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Me too. Look at my poor iPad 2 right down there at the bottom of the heap. Looks like there's two ways to go. Either an iPad 4 or an iPhone 5 and a magnifying glass.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 3 and to be blunt, I don't see much of a difference in speed during day to day usage. Granted the CPU does benchmark faster but that doesn't change the hundred of thousands of apps already on the market that operate just fine on the iPad 2, 3 and iPhone 4S. That just load a bit quicker on the iPhone 5. But game play is exactly the same and non game apps show no real difference unless you are scrolling a TON of data on the screen.

Just my opinion for what little it is worth ;)

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Because the primary difference was in the GPU not CPU. So a CPU benchmark should be very close. But a graphics benchmark should put the iPad 3 more than twice as fast as the iPad 2.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because the primary difference was in the GPU not CPU. So a CPU benchmark should be very close. But a graphics benchmark should put the iPad 3 more than twice as fast as the iPad 2.

That makes sense, but I seem to remember forum users saying how they liked their iPad 3s partly because they were faster than their iPad 2s.

I've heard that you can manipulate benchmarks by giving devices different tests, till you get results that suited you, but I figured end users with iPad 2 and 3 could at least tell the performance diffs between their devices. Does this mean the speeds they mentioned were imaginary?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They probably perceived faster graphics in games, scrolling in Safari and text rendering like Flipbook.

I know I saw it. Which why I don't need to update to the iPad 4 since my gaming is light and a read a lot of text.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They probably perceived faster graphics in games, scrolling in Safari and text rendering like Flipbook.

I know I saw it. Which why I don't need to update to the iPad 4 since my gaming is light and a read a lot of text.

I was wondering whether that was the case, but couldn't reconcile why some iPad 3 users experienced lags when scrolling. I wonder whether iPad 4 will have that prob, too.

Most reactions

Latest posts