Facetime and imessage registration problem

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by rotund, Mar 11, 2012.

1. rotund

rotund iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Having had original wifi only ipad since its launch, I upgraded to ipad 2 with 3G yesterday.

I've restored it from the backup of my original ipad, and registered it with my original apple id, which also has 2 iPhones (mine and wifes) and original ipad associated with it.

I'd like to give iMessage and FaceTime a new identity as "our house ipad" so that messages and FaceTime calls come to it independently. Really, I don't want my personal texts arriving on the new ipad2. I'd also prefer to have the original apple id on the new ipad2 to buy apps, so therefore not have to set up a new id.

I just can't work out how to do it!

Can anyone give me some clues, please?

Thanks

Chris
  2. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    Keep your Apple ID on the machine concerned. That bit is important, because you don't want to be buying apps twice.

Then set up an email address specifically for that machine and assign it to FaceTime and iMessage. Then delete the original email address from the machine. Now FaceTime and iMessage calls will come to that machine and nothing else will. I just set up my son's iPod in this fashion with no problems, other than an email from Apple asking if the new email was an authorized contact address.
  3. rotund

rotund iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Excellent! Thank you very much for replying.

The bit I couldn't work out was removing the original email address. Now working perfectly.

Thanks again.

Chris
  4. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    No problem. Pleased that it worked for you. My brother and I were attempting to talk on FaceTime a few days ago, but the kids kept picking up on their iPods. Then I found out that my son had been FaceTiming my boss (24 times). I decided that I had to find a solution. Glad someone else benefits.
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,146 / 1
    Btw, you can create and use different iCloud accounts if you like. An iPad can have separate iCloud and Apple ID's. This can supply the different email addresses (if you don't have them already), and also keep things like calendars, contacts, and other personal data separate on each iPad (and still synced, backed up, and sharable with other iCloud accounts).

Apple IDs and iCloud