What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facebook will soon automatically grab your iOS photos and post them online

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
facebook-autosync-ios.PNG

Some users of iDevices might have noticed today a new feat that consists of automatically syncing photos on Facebook from the iPhone, iPad or iPod. That’s because starting this week, Facebook has began its Photo Syncing campaign for Apple devices.

The feature will instantly and automatically upload every picture that is snapped with the respective iOS device to the user’s linked account. The photos will be stored automatically in a folder, that user can choose to keep private or shared publically. Needless to say if you don’t like the pictures you can delete them without any problems.

Even if the feature is still in its experimental stage, you might want to find out if you were included in the trial. To do so, check the Photos section located in the sidebar navigation of your Facebook app. If you look at the bottom and you see a Photo Sync option, check it. Everything should proceed from there.

The procedure seems so simple, that some voices are raising concerns about the privacy issues. What if every snapshot you take will end up online? How careful must we be? Apparently, very. The feature can be of course turned off, but we all know how easily it is to forget.

So far there’s no exact date of when the feat will be officially released but as the beta for iOS and Android is being tested, we can only speculate that it will be very soon.

by Radu

Source - Facebook Testing Automatic Photo Sync for iOS

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Never been a Facebook user or fan. Things like this just further justify my abstinence from social media. Meh.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good grief!! Man, this kind of thing needs to be beat down. I get upset just thinking about this. Argh!!!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just found a really useful button on FaceBook: deactivate.

One invasion of privacy too far, methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
No photo sync option on my Facebook, yet.

Nor mine. I can't see it being legal in Canada. Maybe they are running the beta in countries where privacy is a little more basic than it is here?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't want Facebook grabbing anything of mine automatically, lol.

louisa b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there no way this can be prevented without the FB account owner giving his or her explicit confirmation and agreement ? I find it appalling that something like this can go on with total disregard for personal privacy of the user. Have never been comfortable with social networks in general and only utilize my Facebook account to communicate with close friends and family.

Privacy and respect for one's personal business seems to have been replaced by an almost "Jerry Springer" attitude of hideous over-expression and drama drama drama. "My bs is your bs" and the more outlandish and scandalous one can make their lives sound, all the better! Who really cares about all that bs anyway? It makes me embarrassed for the person. Sounds so ignorant and trashy. Is everyone living a "reality show" kind of life and yearns for their 15 minutes of fame??? My god, how pathetic. What has happened that the goal of so many is that ridiculous 15 minutes of fame?

I believe this kind of attitude has resulted in the right to privacy regarding Facebook's plans to synch photos from account holders iPads; what we are talking about now. Personal privacy is gone I fear. This all makes me wonder what else is going on with all my personal "stuff" (and yours) that can be accessed and used for some one else's use. I am suspiciously suspicious . Makes for a feeling of infuriated frustration and impotence.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
louisa b said:
Is there no way this can be prevented without the FB account owner giving his or her explicit confirmation and agreement ? I find it appalling that something like this can go on with total disregard for personal privacy of the user. Have never been comfortable with social networks in general and only utilize my Facebook account to communicate with close friends and family.

Privacy and respect for one's personal business seems to have been replaced by an almost "Jerry Springer" attitude of hideous over-expression and drama drama drama. "My bs is your bs" and the more outlandish and scandalous one can make their lives sound, all the better! Who really cares about all that bs anyway? It makes me embarrassed for the person. Sounds so ignorant and trashy. Is everyone living a "reality show" kind of life and yearns for their 15 minutes of fame??? My god, how pathetic. What has happened that the goal of so many is that ridiculous 15 minutes of fame?

I believe this kind of attitude has resulted in the right to privacy regarding Facebook's plans to synch photos from account holders iPads; what we are talking about now. Personal privacy is gone I fear. This all makes me wonder what else is going on with all my personal "stuff" (and yours) that can be accessed and used for some one else's use. I am suspiciously suspicious . Makes for a feeling of infuriated frustration and impotence.

Good post, Louisa. Privacy is taken very seriously in Canada, for which I'm thankful. Unfortunately, people in some other countries don't share our rights.

Like you, I use FB for close friends and family, and don't enjoy my personal info being extracted by default.

"Options" such as this should always be opt-in rather than opt-out.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mgpitt said:
Easy solution: DON'T USE FACEBOOK.

Easy solution, not so easily applied when you have family in other countries.

Sometimes, like it or no, you just have to go with the flow.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
I see lawsuits in the future, here.

I'm surprised there haven't been lawsuits for other things yet regarding Facebook. I almost want there to be just because.

Most reactions

Latest posts