What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

external GPS

Schmittster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
first post so don't be to harsh.
I have done a search on the forums but have turned up nothing about this.
I'm after an external, wired gps receiver to plug into the ipad.
I am aware that a bluetooth version is available but this is not really what I am after.
Does anyone know if such a device exists?
Thanks

OP
S

Schmittster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats certainly a start but I was looking for something that I can put on the roof of the vehicle.

OP
S

Schmittster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For use in a light aircraft to give uninterrupted reception

cirenpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes i have the same need. to use the ipad as a gps in a light aircraft. 3g and monthly charges not wanted
i am sure i saw something in one of the uk flying mags saying a "gps receiver with a USB lead" was available somewhere

Cidgrad90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here

Currently there are no external antenna capable GPS units for the iPad. The devices they have only support a dongle type GPS. I too am hoping for something better, but until a higher deemed comes, it most likely won't happen. Once I build my RV-8 however, it won't be an issue. Bubble canopies provide lots of uninterrupted view of the sky.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Currently there are no external antenna capable GPS units for the iPad. The devices they have only support a dongle type GPS. I too am hoping for something better, but until a higher deemed comes, it most likely won't happen. Once I build my RV-8 however, it won't be an issue. Bubble canopies provide lots of uninterrupted view of the sky.

Not true.

again, a search would have turned up the answer.
GNS 5870 MFI Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPad - iPad GPS Receivers - iPad Forums Store

Cidgrad90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still no external antenna

Actually, what I said is still partially true. There is no unit that has an external antenna. Even with the device that you show here, flying in a high wing aircraft can present blockage. This unit is definitely better than the dongle, but it still has limitations that I wouldn't feel comfortable with while flying.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Being BT, you can throw it in the front of the windshield and go. There were other pilots on this site talking about this unit - I dont have the exact posts, I have searched enough.

The devices they have only support a dongle type GPS.
is a false statement.

Ever think to contact the manu and ask?

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got a GNS 5870 for my WiFi iPad 2. Oh boy the the reviews about the finger glide power switch are spot on. It is a pain in the ass. Turning it off is harder then turning it on. Big mistake on their part. Takes a great deal of getting used to.

Other then that a handy device so far as it plays nice with my iPod and iPad, plus full computers. I'll have fun taking children geocaching with it, (backed up by a Megellan Expolorist). Nothing like getting some preloaded satellite and topographic maps to show them on the 9.7" screen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-Receiver-iPhone-66-channel/dp/B0035Y7ZJ2[/ame]
I read a post, I think on this forum, where the person used it on commercial jets and it kept up with his position. I also read , like dekyon above posted, about the GNS keeping up on fighter jets so I can concur thread they mentioned was on here somewhere.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Last edited:

mainawat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried gps4ios.com that seems to be exactly what you are looking for. I have been using it for hobby flying and its been working great.

Most reactions

Latest posts